please help :[ (fake anti virus 2010 on my acer) admin edit

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by silver13, Feb 1, 2010.

1. silver13

silver13

i recently had the fake anti virus 2010 on my acer. i just got rid of it but theres still something wrong. i cant get into some of my files. for example, firefox. i clicked on the icon and the window popped up asking me which program i would like to use to run firefox.

now i decided to just restore back to factory settings. so i went to control panel and got to the system restore option. i click on it and the same window pops up again asking me which program i want to use to run it. someone please help? i need this netbook for school and im in real trouble here. please and thank you.

silver13, Feb 1, 2010
  2. silver13

Forone

Re: please help :[

I don't know what that virus does exactly (my daughter got it on her Dell and had to reinstall XP from CD) but it sounds as if you are using "Shortcuts" to launch applications and somehow the "target" for the shortcut has been fouled up. To test it, instead of using the shortcut, go to Program Files folder and double-click the actual *.exe file to launch the program instead of the shortcut - maybe try Firefox first. If the program launches, then it's just the shortcuts and you can fix or make new ones for the ones that don't work.

I checked the target for the eRecovery shortcut icon in the Acer folder - right-click and select Properties - and it is this on my model (below):

"C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe" -launch

Before recovering, be sure you have external backup for all your work and other documents, email etc.

Forone, Feb 1, 2010
  3. silver13

silver13

unfortunatly neither worked. i cant understand why. if theres anything else i can do please let me know.

silver13, Feb 2, 2010
  4. silver13

Forone

Sorry, if double-clicking .exe files won't launch programs I'd be thinking you'll have to find a way to reinstall Windows (or find an alternative operating system, like Linux) from an external drive - others here might think of something else. As I wrote, my kid got that virus and had to do it.

Hopefully you have external backup or can transfer personal document files and email from your netbook to a USB drive or similar safe storage.

I don't have any experience of using "non-standard" Windows versions that people write about on this site, so I would call Acer support about getting their disc for the netbook, but you might be more adventurous.

Forone, Feb 2, 2010
  5. silver13

Willard

Did you try a re-install of Firefox?

Could be the registry has some damage now, but a re-install of your software might get things functional again. If you don't have a working browser at the moment - download the Firefox installer on another PC and save it to a USB key - then take that to your AAO and install from there.

Willard, Feb 2, 2010
  6. silver13

silver13

is there any other way i can restore it back to factory settings? ive backed up whats needed and its not just firefox but a majority of my files. i cant uninstall programs because it says it cant be found (the menu to uninstall programs) this is my last chance before i have to call acer and my school semester just began so not having my netbook is not an ordeal id like to go through right now. :/ thanks to everyone whos tried to help.

silver13, Feb 2, 2010
  7. silver13

^Andy^

•Click Start, Run and type Command
    •Type the following commands one by one:
    cd\windows
    regedit

•If Registry Editor opens successfully, then navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command

•Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane
    •Delete the current value data, and then type:
    "%1" %*
    (ie., quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

•Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

•In the right-pane, set (default) to exefile
    •Exit the Registry Editor.

If you're unable to launch Regedit.exe even from Command Prompt, try this:

copy regedit.exe regedit.com
    regedit.com

^Andy^, Feb 3, 2010
  8. silver13

silver13

it seems to be working. :] thank you everyone who helped and gave advice

silver13, Feb 3, 2010
  9. silver13

Forone

Congrats - I'm going to save Andy's tip for future reference.

Forone, Feb 3, 2010
  10. silver13

KiNG

for orginal poster - can you please have a suitable subject in the future, thanks.

KiNG, Feb 17, 2010
  11. silver13

Forone

Sorry, what's the problem? Some of us knew of the fake anti-virus attack, and Andy knew the fix. It was a useful exchange. For some reason, the full subject of the original post wasn't repeated - is that it?

Forone, Feb 17, 2010
  12. silver13

KiNG

Hi, the subject heading title was "please help :[" (not very useful)
    Someone searching the forum for a solution to the same problem, it would make more sense having a title, such as "please help :[ (fake anti virus 2010 on my acer)"
    Glad the member was sorted :)

KiNG, Feb 21, 2010
  13. silver13

Forone

Sorry, I missed or didn't pay attention to the "admin edit" in the initial subject - it was a helpful addition - and users should do their part to be clear for themselves. Congratulations and thanks for a first rate forum.

Forone, Feb 21, 2010
Ask a Question