Playstation Emulation

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tomrowley20287, Oct 6, 2008.

1. tomrowley20287

tomrowley20287

For fans of console games pSX for linux is currently running Final Fantasy 7 perfectly on my one.

Is nice!

tomrowley20287, Oct 6, 2008
  2. tomrowley20287

dwaine_dibbly

hi. i would like to try it too...can you tell me how you did that? i have got pSX.exe and dont know what to do next :roll:

dwaine_dibbly, Oct 6, 2008
  3. tomrowley20287

tomrowley20287

You can start psx by opening the file in the zipped folder that looks like a cog.

You will need to follow the instructions in the read me file, and you must own a playstation to use the bios and the game to play the roms. I use an external usb drive with the rom on.

Literally all you have to do is open the emulator, load the iso and away you go.

tomrowley20287, Oct 7, 2008
  4. tomrowley20287

sideways

Did you use the default config?

All games are far too stuttering/slow on my AAO with pSX, I have 1GB ram 120gb linux model.

What tricks did you use? Have you loaded the joydev.ko module I posted I while back and tested a usb joystick? This works fine in mame and ePSXe for instance but in pSX I can't get the buttons to respond reliably.

ePSXe is better (even the windows version 1.7 running under wine) but everytime a battle starts in FF7 it slows and stutters.

sideways, Oct 7, 2008
  5. tomrowley20287

sideways

Ok, to answer my own post, I played around with the configuration in pSX and now get playable performance in FF7 :) (and even GT, but sadly not in Tekken 3)

Download pSX v1.11 for linux here, ( or get latest version here ) untar ('tar xvf psX_wip.tar.bz2') and google for a playstation BIOS (scph7502.bin for uk/PAL, scph1001.bin for usa/NTSC)

change to pSx directory and type './pSX &' (make sure firefox etc is shut down, I also recommend 'sudo service NetworkManager stop'), chose a bios, then go to Open File -> Configuration:

In the Graphics tab I unchecked everything except 'Frame Skipping', ('Bilinear Interpolation' improves the graphics with a minor performance hit, so leave that enabled for best graphics)

In Sound tab I unchecked Reverb and Interpolate and increased the latency to ~40ms (You can leave these alone and experiment for yourself, it's very subjective, the important one is the latency, the default 20ms is too small, you'll have to increase it, 40ms is fine)

Press 'Alt' + 'Enter' for fullscreen to get best performance (in v1.13 of pSX you can set the fullscreen aspect ratio, but I prefer 1.11's widescreen, it seems smoother)

still can't get usb psx controller working reliably, even though it is recognised (once kernel module joydev.ko is loaded)
    UPDATE: ok, have it working now, the problem was because FF7 doesn't support the new analogue joysticks you need to select 'SCPH-1010: Normal pad' in the Controllers configuration - it now works like a charm :)
    get joydev.ko kernel module and install instructions in first post here

ps you can use something like AcetoneISO2 to rip *.bin iso images from a a PS1 cdrom, then copy the *.bin file to a usb drive or your AAO hard disk.

sideways, Oct 7, 2008
  6. tomrowley20287

sideways

SInce this is all working pretty well I think we should compile a list of PSX games that can run under pSX on the AAO

FF7 - almost flawless :D
    Gran Turismo - a little jerky, but playable :)
    Tekken 3 - Too slow :(
    Spyro the Dragon - a little jerky, but playable :)
    Oddworld - Abe's Oddysey - flawless :D
    Resident Evil 2 - flawless :D (requires a an analogue joystick for easy control)

Here's the official compatibility list
    http://psx.silvanthalas.com/pal_current.html

sideways, Oct 7, 2008
  7. tomrowley20287

Dalhedaren

Interesting :) How much space does an average PS-game take up?

Dalhedaren, Mar 5, 2009
  8. tomrowley20287

shinden15

well its an ISO so it would take about a size of a cd rom...yeah roughly 700mb(more/less~depends on the game though)

to sidewayes: thanks for the instructions.. i've been trying to find an emulator for psx for linux... cause i only use epsxe and it took me 2 years to run iT(EPSXE).....anyways..ill try this one first and put here some good games that run flawless on one....

shinden15, May 9, 2009
  9. tomrowley20287

shinden15

well seems everything is going fine.....had only a problem with a library.. im on linpus BTW...only tried METAL SLUG X runs perfectly.. and i suggest you use the settings provided by sideways... and dont worry about the glitchy bios screen... its only that and that......

im still DLing some megaman X games... and i might post the result maybe early next weekend... maybe i will try to use wifi at the campus.....and i will post an update for MMX4,5,6..

shinden15, May 9, 2009
  10. tomrowley20287

Darpa

If u type psx rips in google the first site u find games were the rip out the movie's etc and greatly reduce the sice of the rom, like Tomb Raider 1 only 9Mb

Darpa, May 16, 2009
  11. tomrowley20287

shinden15

if u're looking for a syt to download full games and rips of psx here it is

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=5284

there are other roms there for different platforms...(i think there is none for PC)

i have played Megaman X4, X5 and went flawless...

Alundra 2 a little jerky

Tekken 3 no chance

Armored Core 3: Project Phantasma flawless when there is no explosion

Digimon World(im playing it now) playable but sometimes laggy

Metal Slug X flawless

Poket Fighters Jerky a ittle faster than the Tekken 3

Worms Armageddon flawless

Asteroids JERKY<---too bad i cant play i t here

i wll then post again sometime soon after i finish the games im playing ryt now...

shinden15, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question