Play DIVX videos with the VLC media player

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bor, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Bor

CAH

I got the same error, so I'd appreciate how to solve this problem. I have quite a collection of DivX videos and was hoping that my Aspire One would be a good portable player.

CAH, Oct 17, 2008
  2. Bor

elpresidente

Ditto?? wtf guys? This issue was addressed on the first page of a now 11 page thread? Why has no one resolved or solved this? I know many of you are more than capable. I'm new to Linux..so I could use the assistance as well. Someone pony up here!!

elpresidente, Oct 17, 2008
  3. Bor

CAH

OK, I also made the mistake of not reading all the threads. I did get the VLC player installed.

Actually, this is pretty big deal for me! Although I've had a Linux computer before, it was Ubuntu and I just used the graphical installer.

Now I have to get the sound working. I'm pretty sure the DivX audio is encoded as MP3 -- do I also have to install an MP3 decoder?

CAH, Oct 17, 2008
  4. Bor

Grim Squeaker

It has been resolved. Multiple times. In this very topic (and elsewhere).

This is getting a tad bit annoying now.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 17, 2008
  5. Bor

elpresidente

What did it for me without any help from this thread was to bring up a Terminal and type: sudo yum -y update fedora-release

After doing so I repeated the: yum install vlc and it went through. I found the solution through a different thread and for a different issue but it seemed to make sense to me. BTW..searching through 11 freaking pages of stuff and not having prior linpus or linux experience makes things more difficult than it is for those penguin fluent..so lay off.

I've been working with computers since my VIC20..which I got when it first came out. My first MAC was an Apple 2C. So I'm very fluent in OSX/WIN just never entered the realm of linux till buying this AA1. Copping an attitude doesn't help those who require it, so drop the L33T linux crap...seriously.

elpresidente, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Bor

RobbLeon

hey guys, sorry but if im very honest, i really cannot be arsed, neither do i have the time to read through 11 pages on this topic, i tried last night to get VLC working, but with no lick. if i go through a terminal and try the su - method, i cannot enter my password, and if i go through the add/remove programs, then i get back depensdancy issues. id just like to add, im not exactly linux fluent, i can just about work XP im no nerd but i have a go and do usually et stuff to work, so im not terrible, if someone could sum it up for me, that would be great

thanks.

RobbLeon, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Bor

kapinouwi

why you cannot enter your password???

kapinouwi, Oct 17, 2008
  8. Bor

RobbLeon

not a clue, thanks for the reply, first one ive got hehe. erm, when i type su - in a new terminal, i get Password: and the black block, try to type, nothing happens. do i have to leave terminal on or somethign for a few minutes? its just like the keyboard wont work lol. fine everywhere else, can have web browser open in the background, type and post a message, yet when i go back to terminal, it wont let me input. caps is off ect just as normal input into terminal screen. no other problems inputting into the terminal, just on the password line.

RobbLeon, Oct 17, 2008
  9. Bor

kapinouwi

it's normal your password doesn't appear! :) wrote your password and enter touch

kapinouwi, Oct 17, 2008
  10. Bor

RobbLeon

i know it shouldnt display lol. im saying it wont let me type it in. looks like its installing now anyways. ive gone and updated fedora through terminal and now im getting further with VLC install. thanks.

RobbLeon, Oct 17, 2008
  11. Bor

kapinouwi

no problemo! :)

kapinouwi, Oct 17, 2008
  12. Bor

Grim Squeaker

This has nothing to do with a "l33t" attitude. The reason you have to "wade through 11 pages" (12 now) in this topic and that we have 30+ threads about the dependency problems is that people keep asking the same questions over and over again. They "cannot be arsed" to make the effort, as RobbLeon so honestly admitted, to read what others wrote or even attempt use the search function. They do however find it perfectly reasonable to yell stuff like "wtf guys? This issue was addressed on the first page of a now 11 page thread? Why has no one resolved or solved this" and clutter up the forum, so it gets harder and harder to find things for those other people that actually are willing to make an effort.

Now, simply put: if you want help, if you want others to make an effort on YOUR behalf - be certain to make some effort yourself. Or at very, very least ask politely. That is not a "l33t"attitude - but something you should consider applying in normal daily life as well. We are not your slaves.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 18, 2008
  13. Bor

elpresidente

I have, use the search function.

elpresidente, Oct 18, 2008
  14. Bor

infoteksec

Did you get anywhere with this? I have some avi's I want to play but the standard player cant cope.

I tried to install from the linva suppository for release 7 since thats what I thought the A1 was based on.

Sorry to be a pain but I haven't had the A1 for a day yet so i'm at the botton of a linux learning curve.

Thanks

infoteksec, Oct 29, 2008
  15. Bor

infoteksec

It took me hours - eventually I gave up and decided to try and update mplayer. To my surprise it installed all the missing dependencies. I then returned to vlc and found it installed without a hitch.

Now I have mplayer, smplayer (i installed that too) and vlc. In true unix style I now have several tools in the tool box where one working one would have done - sigh.

Regards

infoteksec, Oct 29, 2008
  16. Bor

fritzm

See macles' post on thisDependency problems - it's number 5 on the list, and the solution is a one line command. Just note that after running this, the next time you open the software installer, it will download more than 10 MB of updated data from the new repository, so don't panic if nothing happens for quite a while.

Fritz

fritzm, Oct 30, 2008
  17. Bor

Magnanimous

That solution never worked for me.
    Still comes up with the dependencies problem.
    First time I installed linpus it did.

Magnanimous, Nov 1, 2008
  18. Bor

Rustybolts

Rustybolts, Nov 1, 2008
  19. Bor

Blingin2Mingin

Anyone choosing to install Vlc from the script on the Acer support page be aware of the following.

Found this as a comment on Macles blog by a guy called Simon.

The only comment about the instructions I would make is that vi is not very noob friendly, I would use

Code:
    mousepad install.sh
    instead, then remove the line 3 from the bottom that Simon mentions and then save the file and exit mousepad.
    Then back in the terminal window type.

Code:
    ./install.sh

Blingin2Mingin, Nov 2, 2008
  20. Bor

Magnanimous

Magnanimous, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question