Performance hit when running off battery

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by joe_news, Jun 29, 2009.

1. joe_news

joe_news

How can I trick my AAO to run like it does with its plugged in? I notice the processor slows down a ton when its not plugged in, had to give a presentation today at random and it looked terrible because Acer doesn't include a power management program with the AAO for windows XP users >_<)

Am I missing something?

joe_news, Jun 29, 2009
  2. joe_news

DutchDK

For the Linux model :
    Install the cpufreq-utils with the package manager.
    Open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance && sudo cpufreq-set -c 1 - g performance
    then press enter, to change the cpu governor from the default on-demand scheduler to the performance scheduler. The latter keeps the cpu from throttling down to 800 mhz from 1.6 ghz.
    Change the -g parameter to ondemand when you want the default behaviour back.
    Observed battery time decreases by about 15-20 minutes, when running with the performance scheduler on all the time here. YMMV depending on the usage of your AAO on battery.

For the Windows XP model, you use the default XP power management features to control the CPU throttling via the Intel Enhanced Speed Step function in the Atom CPU:
    Start - Control panel - Power - and then select the "Home/Office" or "Presentation mode" performance profile.
    No need for any Acer branded power management program.

DutchDK, Jun 29, 2009
  3. joe_news

Karloe

Yup, you are missing something, in windos XP power management is included by MS (configuration Panel)

Karloe, Jun 29, 2009
  4. joe_news

joe_news

snap, thanks. Yeah I just ran it again and it worked perfect. :]

joe_news, Jun 29, 2009
Ask a Question