PEAP? WPA2 enterprise?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rgarg, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rgarg

rgarg

I want to connect to my univ wireless network which happens to be a WPA2-enterprise.
    I am running the default Linpus OS with all updates etc installed.
    I went to Settings -> Network -> Connection Management -> New -> WLAN. However I did not find an option to specify WPA2-Enterprise as one of the options in "Encryption Type".
    Any suggestions on how to connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks?
    I am moderately skilled with linux so I can certainly do some config file changes if required.

rgarg, Aug 9, 2008
  2. rgarg

bug

I also want to do it. But i'm afraid that only if Acer makes an update of Networkmanager with the last version will be possible.
    I tried a some thing but i only get severe errors that meade me reinstall the aspire one from scratch ... still researching

bug, Aug 9, 2008
  3. rgarg

helomoto

Update your NetworkManager and deps. It works with NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm. Just make sure you download the FC8-updates versions to your HD before you remove the exisiting ones.

Remove old stuff:
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-gnome
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-glib
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog

Install new stuff:
    cd/to/downloaded/rpms
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager*
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-gnome*
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-glib*
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog*

(Not sure if you need the last two, but thats what I did..)
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-openvpn*
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-vpnc*

My network is WPA2/TKIP, but setting "Tunneled TLS" works for me.

helomoto, Aug 11, 2008
  4. rgarg

tomo88

Thanks for this,

I have the exact same problem as the user; my uni wireless requires like a username and password to login as well as a proxy (but thats just put in firefox so thats not too much of a problem). I bought my Aspire 1 yesterday and tried to connect to it, but I couldn't get it to work! Which defeated the whole purpose of buying it... so I was sufficiently shattered...

I had a look at the uni FAQ and it said:

5. Can I use my Linux laptop to access the UniWireless Network?

A: Yes you can, as long as it is wireless enabled, supports 802.11x, and has a PEAP supplicant. You will have to configure it before using it. Linux is not currently supported by the University.

I take it that means the WPA2 enterprise or whatever. I'm not too bad with computers... well windows actually. Unlike the OP, I've never used Linux before, but I've got a brief idea about how to enter command lines...just like dos yea? So I'll follow the above instructions, but is downloading the updated software as easy as googling it and then just downloading it?

If anyone can layout a layman's guide that'd be great, or if anyone has any experience with this.

P.S. I goto the University of Melbourne, Australia so if there are any other users on this forum that go there and have gotten wireless working on Linpus can we meet up? I'll shout coffee!

tomo88, Aug 20, 2008
  5. rgarg

IMSancho

This post is no longer relevant as the packages from the mirrors have changed, scroll down and read the post which contains the necessary packages in an archive with a script to install them

Here are the steps I took and packages I used to follow helomoto's instructions above. As with all changes to software packages, if something goes wrong you may have to restore from the recovery DVD, not my fault if you lose data, etc.
    Edit: seems the board won't let me submit the post with w get in it, remove the #'s from the commands when you type them in
    Open up a terminal, and issue the following commands, 1 at a time:

mkdir /home/user/Downloads/rpm
    cd /home/user/Downloads/rpm
    wget# ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/r...kManager-openvpn-0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8.i386.rpm
    wget# ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/r...rkManager-vpnc-0.7.0-0.4.svn3030.fc8.i386.rpm
    wget# ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/8/i386/NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    wget# ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/u...anager-gnome-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    wget# ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/r.../Packages/krb5-auth-dialog-0.7-5.fc8.i386.rpm
    wget# ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/...Manager-glib-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-gnome
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-glib
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog
    ###note: this one actually wasn't on my system, so don't worry if it's not there to remove###
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog-0.7-5.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager-vpnc-0.7.0-0.4.svn3030.fc8.i386.rpm

Reboot the machine and you should have the newer version of NetworkManager.
    I've had a look at the connection guide for your Uni and they are using similar settings to the Uni where I work so you should be able to get on with a bit of tinkering. The settings that might work for your network are:

Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
    Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
    Anonymous Identity:
    CA Certificate: /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
    PEAP Version : Version 0 (try 1 if this doesn't work)
    Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2

Give it a shot and see how you go.

IMSancho, Aug 20, 2008
  6. rgarg

tomo88

thanks for the help mate, im having trouble posting long posts, gives me a 404, so ill post results when its fixed

tomo88, Aug 21, 2008
  7. rgarg

IMSancho

Yeah the board will give you a 404 if you try to submit a post with 'wget#' in it (without the hash obviously, or I wouldn't be able to post this)

IMSancho, Aug 21, 2008
  8. rgarg

tomo88

ooo ahaha thanks for that, I even copy-pasted my reply so i wudnt have to keep typing it again:

Thanks so much mate for those step-by-step results, just what I needed seeing as I've never touched a Linux OS before.

Everything was good with making the directory and changing to the directory but when it came to downloading I got this error:

Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd /home/user/Downloads/rpm
    [user@localhost rpm]$ wget# [url]ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8.i386.rpm[/url]
    --11:02:54--  [url]ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8.i386.rpm[/url]
               => `NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8.i386.rpm'
    Resolving fr.rpmfind.net... 1.0.0.0
    Connecting to fr.rpmfind.net|1.0.0.0|:21... failed: No route to host.

I went into firefox and just punched in the FTP address, and browsed my way through all the folders to ensure that it wasn't just that the link was outdated, but sure enough the exact file was there. I tried clicking on it in hopes to download it and then just copy it over to the folder created, but it just gave me a connection refused or something along those lines.

I'm only using my WPA wireless connection at home to do this, no tricky firewalls installed or anything. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
    UPDATE: I downloaded them manually at uni via firefox and put them in the Downloads/rpm folder via usb.

The uninstall of Networkmanager worked fine, but the other cmds after that gave errors, and I kept getting an access denied admin thing after every command.

After uninstalling, when i tried to install it kept giving me errors about files being in conflict with older files (mayb didn't uninstall properly?) but i just kept typing in the cmd lines and eventually rebooted. when it restart there was no networkmanager in the taskbar nor cud i open it via settings.

I'm doing a restore now, was there something I did wrong? thanks again

tomo88, Aug 21, 2008
  9. rgarg

IMSancho

Hmmm, not sure what went wrong, perhaps the files didn't download properly? Don't worry about that connection refused message, you'll get that everytime you use sudo and can just ignore it.

Anyway I've chucked all the packages I used into an archive and written a little script to install them all, grab it from *here* and save it to your Downloads directory on your One.

Change to that directory and extract it with the following command:
    Code:
    tar xvf A1_netmgr.tar.gz
    And then run the install script:
    Code:
    ./newnetmgr.sh
    Reboot and if all went well you should have an updated NetworkManager, let me know how you go and if it works I'll chuck a post in the How-To section.

IMSancho, Aug 21, 2008
  10. rgarg

tomo88

thanks a lot for the package, unfortunately I can't even download it off the server :p kept timing out, ill try again at uni and then get back to ya on how it went when I'm there

tomo88, Aug 21, 2008
  11. rgarg

linker3000

Following the steps in the post below will install the SVN version of NetworkManager and give everyone WPA2 enterprise /PEAP support:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1209

linker3000, Aug 22, 2008
  12. rgarg

tomo88

As said before, couldn't get the download to work for some reason at home, so just went to uni and downloaded it on their computers and transferred over, ran the script, came up with a whole bunch of like file conflicts after everything prepared and installed, but rebooted regardless and it worked!

Thanks so much for your help on this IMSancho, been a real blessing. Now ill just tinker around with the settings and see what gets me connected.

Again, much appreciated mate

EDIT: just for reference if other people are in my situation

the settings I used to connect:
    Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
    Authentication: PEAP
    Anonymous Identity: <blank>
    CA Certificate: <none> (couldn't find cert.pem when nagivating /etc/pki/tls/????)
    PEAP Version: Version 0
    Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2

tomo88, Aug 22, 2008
  13. rgarg

IMSancho

Good to hear tomo, and thanks for testing that script. Like your Uni we don't officially support linux on our wireless network either, but at least I can give users that archive now and know that it's worked on more than just my machine :D

IMSancho, Aug 22, 2008
  14. rgarg

SuzuKube

The update script work thanks :)

Now i have just to find the way to install the WM6 rndis drivers and all will be fine :)

Also new logo for the wifi on new network manager . Youhou . Really begin to love linpus ;)

Thanks guys! ;)

SuzuKube, Aug 24, 2008
  15. rgarg

Hamza

Hi IMSancho,

Someone in another thread recommended I update NetworkManager using your script and I did so. Just wanted to say thank you for making the resource available.

It didn't fix my problem as it happens, but I prefer the updated version.

Now if only I could make it connect to the wifi connection automatically....

Thanks again,
    Hamza

Hamza, Aug 25, 2008
  16. rgarg

busyu

IMSancho, used your script and had no problems. Works wonderfully. Thanks!

busyu, Aug 26, 2008
  17. rgarg

ebustelo

Hello, I've been reading all the post related to A1 setup for university wireless access.
    I'd like to be able to use the "eduroam" access with my A1, but I cannot make it work.
    My university uses the following configuration:

ssid="eduroam"
    scan ssid=1
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
    eap=TLS
    identity="[email protected]"
    ca_cert="/etc/certs/cacert.pem"
    client_cert="/etc/certs/[email protected]"
    pasword="xxxxxxxx"
    private_key="/etc/certs/[email protected]"
    private_key_passwd="xxxxxxxx"

As I´m quite lost with so many different "encrypted" names... TLS, EAP, PEAP, WPA2..., so I´m not sure if you script will help me to connect to this network. Thanks in advance.

ebustelo, Sep 3, 2008
  18. rgarg

ebustelo

I finally updated network-manager and now I have support for my university eduroam wifi access. Fully working, thanks.
    But... now I´m dealing with the "forgetting WPA" issue.

I´m new to linux, but I guess network-manager and editing the WPA_suppplicant.conf file are different ways (manual and automatical) to do the same thing but probably mutally exclusive, aren´t they?

So what about having to enter the WPA key (or the private key password) each time I boot my A1?
    Maybe updating the network-manager broke something with the way that linpus store these keys. Anyway, I have also found people reporting this as a bug of the network-manager, so probably nothing to do with our particular acer linpus setup.

Any opinion?

ebustelo, Sep 3, 2008
  19. rgarg

zebulon

I installed the new version of network manager thanks to Sancho. it all worked perfectly.

But now my AA1 keeps forgetting my WEP password at my home's network... I haven't tried at university yet so I don't know if it'll remember the WAP settings neither...

Do anyone have a clue on how to solve this issue?

zebulon, Sep 3, 2008
  20. rgarg

IMSancho

IMSancho, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question