PC or Mac??

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by scoobydoo, Jan 11, 2016.

1. scoobydoo

scoobydoo

Age old question guys: PC or Mac? I have been using a PC for years. I've never used a Mac. Is there really much of a difference? I'm going to get a new laptop soon. Should I stick with Microsoft and Windows or get an Apple? What are the pros and cons?

scoobydoo, Jan 11, 2016
  2. scoobydoo

IcyBC

I just switched to MacBook laptop after using Window all my life. There aren't too much different as far as I can see for average users. I don't do any programing, gaming or downloading, so the MacBook is really nice to have. It takes like a few seconds to turn it on and shut down. The loading time of webpages are like a blink of an eye. I find it amazing since there is less updating too, and it hasn't freeze on me since I have it in June.

Personally, I think you should go for Mac. You will get your money worth as Apple is durable, reliable, and less prone to viruses.

IcyBC, Jan 11, 2016
  3. scoobydoo

Valithor

What are the typical things you use? If you use it just for casual web browsing you would still be better off buying a cheap laptop.

There is a huge difference concerning functionality and user accessibility. For a new user, the hardest thing you'll have to figure out is how to download, install, and use apps since the idea of having to move files between folders just to be able to run them is quite silly.
    o_O In what world is a Mac considered reliable? Honestly not trying to hate on macs having used one myself, but this is just factually inaccurate.

My Windows 7 laptop is only $400 and functions as a gaming laptop capable of playing League of Legends on highest settings at 60-120 FPS. Apple has tons of compatibility problems. If you're using Yosemite and taking online college classes have fun trying to get it to work. Got Safari but need to use a website that requires both Flash + Java that was developed with Chrome in mind? Better download Firefox as a backup and unblock all third party cookies.

I work in tech support and most of the simplest problems have been caused by Mac computers either not being compatible or just simply not being set up to work properly.

• If you are a gamer or a student use Windows.
    • If you want to dump money into a computer that runs really well get Windows.
    • If you're into graphic design or video editing get a Windows.
    • If you are technically LITERATE and use it for professional work or school, get a Windows.
    • If you are technically illiterate and use it for professional work or school, get Windows or be prepared to make numerous calls in to tech support. No amount of money dumped into a Mac will help you when you find out it isn't compatible with software designed for Windows.

• If you are technically illiterate, use social media and email, and don't mind spending money for free tech support and an extended warranty package from Apple, by all means get a Mac.
    • If you are into audio editing (Garage Band) get a Mac. Unless you're doing actual professional audio editing, in which case get Windows.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Valithor, Jan 11, 2016
  4. scoobydoo

nytegeek

@Valithor You speak of what you call facts but all I see is a list of opinions that aren't necessarily supported by facts. This looks more like a fan boi list than an objective comparison to me. I work in IT and like many I cut my teeth so to speak in Tech Support before advancing in the field. I'm going to venture a guess that I logged more hours in Tech Support than you have because Windows has an enormous load of issues over the years to contradict some of your statements. I'm not even much of an Apple fan and I can't agree with your list.

nytegeek, Jan 12, 2016
    Marla013 and IcyBC like this.
  5. scoobydoo

Valithor

My perspective comes from the combined perspectives of people who work with fortune 500 companies, so you're going to have to back those words up with some facts and counter claims of your own if you're going to go calling someone a fanboy. At least I'm trying to tell OP why I believe what I do rather than simply attacking someone else's post.

Valithor, Jan 12, 2016
  6. scoobydoo

IcyBC

There will always be someone like you that bashed the reputation of Apple products, but that is your provocative and personal opinion. I accept the differences!

I haven't met a single person that listed the problems that you were posting here, and I can tell you I am almost at my retirement age, that means I have many years in life already.

In any case, here is another thread http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/do-you-have-to-do-maintenance-on-macbook.25106/#post-126551 that proves I am not wrong in my conviction with Apple products. At a conclusion though, to each his own, and just leave it at that!

IcyBC, Jan 13, 2016
  7. scoobydoo

IcyBC

@nytegeek is not attacking your post, but simply disagreed with the list you posted, just as I do!

You also contradicted yourself with your own statement: "I work in tech support and most of the simplest problems have been caused by Mac computers either not being compatible or just simply not being set up to work properly."

"Simplest problems..and not being set up to work properly" are the keys here! Can you really blame this on Apple's functionality or reliability? I think not!

Take a look around this Forum, how many posts are there with problems listing about Mac? And how many posts are there that listed Window with problems? This alone should be a great indicator and a testimony!

IcyBC, Jan 13, 2016
    nytegeek likes this.
  8. scoobydoo

mopli

Obviously you go for the PC. The PC offers all the options a Mac does yet it costs significantly less. With a Mac you pay a lot for the brand. The software a PC uses offers also a lot of comfort whereas the Mac is hard to use. All in all, a PC can do waht a Mac does and maybe even better though it costs a lot less.

mopli, Jan 13, 2016
  9. scoobydoo

Marla013

This is my opinion so I beg you, please do not bash me. :)

In my office, I am the only one who uses a Mac. All the others have PC; even our office computers are PC. And guess what? I am the only one who did not have any problems with their respective computers. My MacBook is more than two years old and my colleague's Asus is probably half of that, but he already has issues with it like trouble connecting to the Internet, very slow start-up/shut down, etc. He is not a techie guy so I am 100% sure that he only uses it for web browsing and typing documents. But again, there are a lot of factors that can affect the performance of a machine.

As far as I am concerned, there are a lot of things that I need to learn to maximize my Mac and there are software that are not available on MacOS, but I chose Mac over PC because I find it really reliable as compared to my previous PC's.

Valithor is actually right; you need to identify first your purpose of buying a laptop. That way you can easily classify laptops based on their specifications.

Good luck!;)

Marla013, Jan 14, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. scoobydoo

IcyBC

You are right too, it is really up to individual's specifications! Half of my family has MacBook for years now and they have no complaints whatsoever. In fact, they are the ones that got me my MacBook since I work online a lot.

My HP died in only two years, and I don't do any downloading or playing games on it!

IcyBC, Jan 14, 2016
  11. scoobydoo

PingPongCall

I have been considering using a Mac for development in games. Can someone make a suggestion about macs that isn't related to video editing or audio work?

PingPongCall, Jan 15, 2016
  12. scoobydoo

nytegeek

That was my point. You didn't explain why you think this way very well. A claim that you are in tech support seems to be the basis of your whole argument, yet you give a list of opinions that don't support you having much experience in tech support. A lot of people and perspectives can be found from people that work for and with fortune 500 companies, some of them are contrary to your statements even. That isn't a fact that backs up any of the statements in your post. It is your opinion of what you think other people's opinions are, not a supporting statement. You gave a list of very biased opinions without any supporting facts. I wasn't attacking your post so much as pointing out the flaws in the argument. Getting offended and still not supporting your statements is hardly productive or helpful for your position on the matter. I get the idea that you may be on the anti-apple band wagon, along with a lot of other people. I just don't think you really understand why. As I said, I don't care for Apple much myself, but I also have opinions that I can back up with some hard facts to that point and I can make an objective argument in support of the other side. Can you?

nytegeek, Jan 15, 2016
    PingPongCall likes this.
  13. scoobydoo

PingPongCall

This conversation has become the highlight of my day.

nytegeek likes this.
  14. scoobydoo

nytegeek

A mac would be fine for the development of cross platform games or any type of web development. What kind of IDE would you be looking to use? I do everything from a PC, but that is just what works best for me.

nytegeek, Jan 15, 2016
  15. scoobydoo

PingPongCall

I mostly work with Jgrasp and RPG maker. Is this something that can be emulated within an OSX environment?

16. scoobydoo

nytegeek

Jgrasp is a java application which means it is cross platform. There is a mac version. No emulation required. There is a mac version of RPG Maker MV. Prior to MV there workarounds to get it working I believe.

nytegeek, Jan 16, 2016
  17. scoobydoo

PingPongCall

Are you serious? not other version of the program work out of the box with mac? I also use VX ace, so this could be a problem.

PingPongCall, Jan 18, 2016
  18. scoobydoo

Valithor

Like I said, tons of compatibility issues. :rolleyes:

Valithor, Jan 18, 2016
  19. scoobydoo

nytegeek

You aren't helpful at all, and quite frankly somebody with your attitude does not belong in support.

The first two apps she asked me about work just fine on Mac, and the third can work with some setup. It's not a compatibility issue when it works out of the box as a native version now is it? If there is a solution for the third that works it probably isn't an issue either.

The thing that is frustrating isn't that you can't back your position up. What is frustrating is that you have demonstrated the inability to do so without spouting unsubstantiated bias and very little substance. As I said, I don't care for Apple either, but if I were to get into a point by point argument on the matter I could at least defend my position with some substance. All you have done is spout opinions that you try to back up with what you seem to think are other peoples opinions.

Yes, if you insist on running win32 or win 64 programs on a different operating system of course you are going to run into compatibility issues. Duh. That doesn't mean there isn't reason to do it or that there aren't equal or even better in some cases native versions of many titles for a Mac. It may be a niche environment, but there is a place for them in the market and it isn't restricted to the technically illiterate and to garage bands like you seem to think. You basically insulted a whole lot of intelligent and talented people just to make yourself feel like an expert when you clearly are not.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    nytegeek, Jan 18, 2016
  20. scoobydoo

nytegeek

Somebody ported it over at least developed a suitable work around in 2014. I'll try to find the link for you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    nytegeek, Jan 18, 2016
Ask a Question