Patriot Warp v.2 32GB SSD MLC

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Daijoubu, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Daijoubu

Daijoubu

Got it yesterday, sustained read speed of 89MB/s! Even faster if I could enable native SATA mode (116MB/s on my nForce desktrop system), see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1196&start=50#p26334

[​IMG]

[attachment=0:sskd1sxy]atto.PNG[/attachment:sskd1sxy]

Using Microsoft's BootVis I've measured the boot time and it went from 36 secs to about 16 secs (that's when the shell is ready to be used)

I'll report back after some more use, haven't really encountered the shuttering other peoples have reported having with Samsung's Jmicro rebandred SSD (OCZ Core for ex.)

CAD$160 minus CAD$50 MIR, hopefully I get it...
    64 and 128GB available as well, if you can afford it

Daijoubu, Sep 23, 2008
  2. Daijoubu

goofball

Thanks for posting, very tempting but I am going to wait for 64GB to come down to around the same price before jumping. 32GB is cutting it close for me (yes, I do carry certain things with me all the time).

goofball, Sep 23, 2008
  3. Daijoubu

john_nj

I got my Patriot 128 gig Warp v2 today.

It's pretty sweet so far.

It was a bit weird when I first tried doing a clean install of Vista, though. The installer on the DVD kept crashing, as did Vista itself (even in safe mode) when I tried to boot off of the previous hard drive on a SATA-USB adapter. I tried booting off of an XP pro installer disk and then partitioned the SSD. Bingo... Vista installed fine after that. Guess there was something that Vista didn't like about however the partition table came from the factory, but XP setup didn't mind it.

I've been searching the intarWEbZ trying to find SSD-centric tips on Vista configs and I'm coming up empty (except for the 1.5 million links to a release by the Sandisk CEO saying that Vista sucks monkeybutt). Do you guys/gals have any experience to share?

I've seen some stuff on here about installing Windows on the SSD-version AA1, but I'm not sure that what's good for an 8 gig slowish SSD is good for a 128 gig fastish SSD.

Thanks,

John

john_nj, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Daijoubu

Sherlock

I have been searching for information on SSDs related to upgrading an Aspire One. I originally thought buying the SSD Aspire One and upgrading the SSD would be the way to go, but now I figure buying the 6-cell HDD version and replacing the HDD with a SATA SDD would be best. I am primarily interested in the SSD robustness versus a HDD in a very portable Aspire One.

Concerning SSD-centric tips on Vista, the only one I have seen so far is that Vista has a background defrag utility that is not needed, and in fact is not desired for SSDs. I think I found that one in a Vista Tuning Guide at http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532. Naturally stopping anything that causes disk writes will be beneficial.

I have seen news items with recent SSD announcements from major manufacturers that they are now working with Microsoft on SSD drivers. Hopefully that will lead to better performance and longer SSD life.

Sherlock, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question