passwords

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lufc, Aug 25, 2010.

1. lufc

lufc

I have just purchased an AA1 on ebay,It seems to work OK but my e-mail settings with onetel/talktalk do not work in A1 mail box. I have tried to download thunderbird in root but I am asked for a password which I have tried to reset but not knowing the original I have failed.Is there a default password available as the previous owner states that he reset everything to the factory settings.
    DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO SET OR CHANGE THE BIOS PASSWORD IF YOU CAN NOT ASCERTAIN THE ORIGINAL?

lufc, Aug 25, 2010
  2. lufc

joelmexicano

It will be easier and faster to reinstall the operating system or install a new or different one. The password requested is the administrative password. It is set by the user at the time of installation or in the case of an OEM installation at the first time the user starts the newly installed distribution. Since most linux distributions are almost all being updated constantly, installing a new version will provide you with a better operating system, especially with respect to hardware recognition. There are many to choose from Ubuntu and its many derivatives, to SUSe, Fedora, etc. Check out Distrowatch.com, you can review almost anything that is available there. There are a number of linux distros that are oriented toward to newbies. Download the .iso, follow directions on making a "live usb" disk---there are a number of web sites that explain very clearly how to make this on a thumbdrive or on a "sd" card. Your problem is that without the admin password you can't do just about anything, so my suggestion of installing a new operating system is about your only option. Once you have the "live usb" just insert and when your bios page appears , click on "setup" and then under the boot section set the usb "thumbdrive" or "sd" to be the startup disk---you should see the card or thumbdrive listed in your choice, save and exit, restarting the computer. If you did it right, your netbook will start with the new linux system loaded. From this point you can use the distro from the live version or you can install it permanently on the hard drive. To install, double click or open the icon for Install on the Desktop and follow instructions. Again, virtually all of the home pages for the Linux distros have very clear and complete instructions.
    Mint linux, v 9 or Easy Peasy both install seamlessly in the Acer Notebook. They are both notable and recommendable because they complete, have audio/video codecs already installed, recognize most all hardware, i.e. wireless, printers, scanners, cameras, with no adjustments. Just before the installer program installs the new operating system, it will ask for a username and a password, choose something you will remember! This is actually an easy change, takes about 15 minutes to complete.

joelmexicano, Sep 6, 2010
Ask a Question