Partitions or hard drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Oh_Shoot, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Oh_Shoot

Oh_Shoot

Hi there! I'm new here and I've got a question for you guys.

I've got a laptop where I want to install 4 different OS's (isn't my main PC, I just want to experiment with it). So the problem is the following:

I want to add an ssd to it so, since it has a sata and a msata port (it's an Acer Aspire One D250), I was thinking of :

Option 1 - Getting a cheap 256gb msata ssd for the OS's and install them in different partitions and store program data and files in a hard drive I've already got in the sata port (that's 120gb), divided into partitions for each system. I think this would be a bit messy. It would cost approximately 40-50€.

Option 2 - Simply buying 3 120gb hdd's (because I've already got one)and just use one per system (since I won't load or install a lot of data into them) and therefore change the hard drive every time I want to switch system, which isn't a problem for me, since the sata slot is easily accessible. This solution would cost about 30€, since I would just need to buy 3.

Would both of them work? Any other suggestions or ideas?

The systems would be:
    1). Windows 7
    2). Phoenix OS or Prime OS (I haven't decided which one yet so please let me now which one requires the lowest specs and which one is the better one)
    3).Mac OS Mojave
    4). Kali Linux

Oh_Shoot, Feb 23, 2020
  2. Oh_Shoot

Ian Administrator

If the laptop if fairly powerful, you could always use a virtual machine like VirtualBox (free) and run the other operating systems in that?

Ian, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Oh_Shoot

Oh_Shoot

Hi Ian, I have already thought of that but the laptop is a bit old and has an Intel atom and just 4gb of ram. I've tried virtual machines on more powerful computers and they didn't work fast at all so that's why I wanted to use a real computer. Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Quick question: do you know anywhere I can buy 4gb DDR2 sodimm that delivers to Europe for cheap?

Oh_Shoot, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Oh_Shoot

Ian Administrator

Ah, I see. It may still be worth trying, just to see how it performs. If you're running an SSD it will make a huge difference in speed.

Amazon is actually really good for cheap memory. I normally use Crucial.com, but Amazon is very good pricing.

Ian, Mar 16, 2020
  5. Oh_Shoot

Oh_Shoot

Yes, I checked on both sites but in crucial I couldn't find 4gb sticks and on Amazon, they cost around 70€, but thanks anyway.

Oh_Shoot, Mar 16, 2020
Ask a Question