Painfully SLOWWW write speed

Discussion in 'Linux' started by quarknimble, Feb 22, 2009.

1. quarknimble

quarknimble

whenever i am downloading anything at broadband speeds as low as 100-200 kB/s, my computer is basically locked up and the second green light (write indicator) is mostly stuck on. so if i am downloading, my computer is pretty much useless.

what do i need to do to have a functional computer that can download files without locking up?
    should i try getting a usb flash drive to download to instead? or do i need more RAM? (have 512mb standard)

quarknimble, Feb 22, 2009
  2. quarknimble

yodersj

Sounds like you have an Aspire One with a solid state drive (SSD). There are several posts throughout the forum discussing the write speed of the SSD models that have been found in the AAO. Cheap fix is to get a USB stick or a SD card. I like the card option better since it doesn't stick out as much.

I have a model with the SSD as well and I find it very enjoyable. As a trade off to the moving parts of a traditional hard drive, I'll take the write speed slowness so long as the alternative of decent external storage is an option.

yodersj, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question