OSX slim down??

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by azz2811, Dec 23, 2008.

1. azz2811

azz2811

hello,

Is there a program that lets you slim down Mac OSX like nlite and vlite for windows. this would be really useful because all i want OSX for is the photobooth program

thanks

azz2811, Dec 23, 2008
  2. azz2811

gastrogeek

[DELETE ME]

gastrogeek, Dec 23, 2008
  3. azz2811

mercado79

mercado79, Dec 23, 2008
  4. azz2811

PhyrePhox

Most Mac OS applications, particularly Apple's, have versions of the apps text, dialogs, menus, etc. in multiple languages. So, in theory, you could go to the preferences, change the language to, say, French, and boom, everything's in French.
    People figured out a while back that you could go into the program (every Mac application is actually a folder with resources and various files inside) and remove the files for languages other than yours, and by doing that to all the different programs, you would end up saving a good deal of disk space. Monolingual is just a way of automating that removal. It shouldn't hurt anything, but do it at your own risk. :!:
    Mac OS is built on BSD, which is a variant of Unix, and there are lots of programs installed by default that you will never run directly, never see an icon for, but are used by the system. So, don't start browsing system folders and deleting things you don't recognize! ;)
    After the language localizations, other big disk space hogs are log files. There are processes that run overnight that do various maintenance tasks on the system, including trimming the old logs, but many people turn off their Macs at night, and the cleanups don't run. Google for an app called Cocktail; it exposes some of these tasks and lets you run them on demand.
    Otherwise, as a long time Mac user, I just got used to Mac OS taking up about 10GB. Apple doesn't install a lot of extra crap, everything that's there tends to get used at some point.

Also, remember that used disk space does not equal computer running slow; deleting language localizations or log files won't make Mac OS run any faster.

PhyrePhox, Dec 23, 2008
  5. azz2811

iowayank

If you did a 'standard' Leopard install, then you may be able to save an amount of disk space
    that is equal to the size of your RAM (in my case, 1.5Gb). On shutdown, 'safe sleep' writes the
    contents of RAM in a 'sleepimage' file. Since sleep doesn't work on the AAO, you really don't need
    the system eating 1.5gb all the time, so disable safesleep and delete the sleepimage file. See
    this post: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7679&p=51227#p51227

iowayank, Dec 27, 2008
  6. azz2811

pablo101

It depends how adventurous you are. I have slimmed down os x leopard to just under 500 mb in the past!!! Though i have been a mac user for the past 14 years so i know exactly what im doing. You can delete lots of files from the /Library and /System/Library ....... ie stuff like fonts, desktop pictures, logs, caches, colorsync profiles, printer drivers, dictionaries, keyboard layouts, modem scripts, screensavers, widgets, unused extensions....... as you can see you can trim a lot but you need to be careful and know that what you are deleting isn't needed!!!

pablo101, Dec 27, 2008
  7. azz2811

scudder2u

You can remove the ppc code from universal apps and save quite a bit of space. "trimthefat" and "xslimmer" are two applications that remove the code. Trimthefat hasnt been updated in a few years but is free and xslimmer is 12.95US but updated frequently and creates automatic backups. ;

Not quite what you were asking but it may help save you some space without removing any features.

scudder2u, Dec 28, 2008
  8. azz2811

DutchAcerOne

DutchAcerOne, Feb 27, 2009
  9. azz2811

azz2811

thanks that looks good!

azz2811, Feb 27, 2009
  10. azz2811

jongleur

Hi, just used xslimmer on my A150 - trimmed the "fat" by 850MB - not much of an issue really on my A150, but a big deal for the SSD users.

jongleur, Mar 5, 2009
  11. azz2811

After using xslimmer and trimthefat... and try my best to go through /Library and /System to remove useless stuff... I still get only about 1.2GB free space left on 8GB SSD... Is there any more stuff (e.g. frameworks or extensions) that I can remove to make it smaller?

70869413, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question