OS on SD card?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bove, Jul 31, 2008.

1. bove

bove

Hi

My internal SSD died after doing a RAM-upgrade, and it seems that I'll have a hard time getting this on any guarantee. So now I'm looking for a replacement for my Internal SSD, and I wonder if I can run xubuntu from a SD card? I'm currently looking at "SanDisk Secure Digital Extreme III SDHC 8 GB High Performance Card" with 20MBs/18MBs read/write.
    It will cost me about $110 US.
    Will it not work, barely work, work well or what?
    Should I rather consider one of them CF cards and a ZIF-converter?

bove, Jul 31, 2008
  2. bove

Bascha

As far as i know the A1 can't boot from SD. Think you would be better of with a new drive.
    Either original part, cf with ZIF or then there is also some toshiba and hitachi (ipod) drive than can work with some fiddeling.
    Hope someone can confirm this.

Bascha, Jul 31, 2008
  3. bove

janss

The One's bios lacks the ability to boot from a memory card, so you'll need either the SSD or a usb-stick where you can install GRUB to and boot the machine from there. But I would definately consider it to be a better solution to get some sort of new internal drive... Maybe the CF-card trick would be a good idea to consider?

janss, Jul 31, 2008
  4. bove

bove

I wonder how much Acer will take for fixing the thing, or how much a original replacement SSD will be?

bove, Jul 31, 2008
  5. bove

Bascha

Give them a ring and see what they have to say. Maybe you even can get it on warranty.
    They do infact say that you can expand RAM so....

Bascha, Jul 31, 2008
  6. bove

glibdud

Also, since so many people are talking about replacing their SSD with an HDD or CF, you might just see if someone is willing to sell you their SSD.

glibdud, Jul 31, 2008
  7. bove

bove

God! Your genius!

bove, Jul 31, 2008
Ask a Question