Opinions on Vista?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Chrono86, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Chrono86

Chrono86

Hey guys

I love my AA1 for the most part. My biggest beef is the fan/temperature problem. Under XP it runs at around 64-66C idle and up to 72C full load, which seems a little high.

I've seen people say it runs cooler under Vista, is that confirmed? How does Vista run on the machine, I do a little bit of gaming (mostly sega/nintendo and psx emulation), will I notice a slow down? How's aero run?

One more thing, can I hook up an external dvd drive and just use my retail copy of home premium and do an upgrade? I don't really feel liking putting everything back on this machine again...

Thanks guys

Chrono86, Sep 29, 2008
  2. Chrono86

palingenesis

personally i'd stick with XP without a thought of Vista. Vista takes more resources and I find it to be slower in most cases. it may be cooler to run, i don't think it's worth an install, especially on the A1

palingenesis, Sep 29, 2008
  3. Chrono86

Chrono86

37 views and only 1 opinion?

Here's what happens in my case regarding the temperature, as everybody seems to have different experiences. Another thing I'm noticing is, realtemp reports my temp when just doing some web browsing around 45C, but all these fan control programs always report about 10C higher. When I'm not using the fan control the fan is constantly running and keeping the processor pretty cool.

The fan control program will turn off the fan, but the temperature quickly rises to 70C whenever I start doing anything more intensive, and then fan will kick on.

But all of a sudden, just now, when I turned the program on, it turned off the fan and the temperature is holding around 55C. Weird.

Chrono86, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Chrono86

Nemix

I've noticed lower temperatures when the hard disk idles. Depending on how much RAM you have installed, you can tweak Windows so that if never uses the pagefile and of course defrag your drive. With these things done, the hard drive works less and temperature for both hard drive system will be lowered. With Vista your hard drive will never stop working unless you disable indexing and have loads of RAM even so, Vista uses prefetching for program which would lead to pagefile usage and thus leading to harder hotter working disk drive and overall system temperature.

I could be wrong, please enlighten me...

Nemix, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Chrono86

maciek

I'm happy with performance of vista on my aa1, haven't tried xp though but vista runs just fine.

there is plenty of reports here on forum from other people with vista who are happy with their choice.

maciek, Sep 30, 2008
  6. Chrono86

goofball

depends on what you like. I had Vista but because I use photoshop, found I didn't have enough ram for my liking. It worked fine, no issues, I did find the system ran a bit cooler. Contemplating going back to Vista at some point (maybe once I get my 7200rpm drive). It did run slower than XP SP3 though, at least in the way I have them configured.

Personal choice. Neither are wrong.

goofball, Sep 30, 2008
  7. Chrono86

chuckcalo

Vista runs way more faster/cooler than my previous XP install. I remember I was emo because right out the box my XP install was having some problems (sound distortion, BSOD). Ever since I installed Vista I've fallen in love with this thing.

I have the 120GB version w/ 1.5GB ram.

chuckcalo, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question