Opinions on the screen size for "older" folks

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by tenashus1, Aug 31, 2008.

1. tenashus1

tenashus1

I own an Asus 1000H with a 10" screen.

I am interested in the Acer, but I'm wondering about the 9" screen. Is it distinct and readable for, shall we say, an older person who wears reading glasses? The 10" seems fine, but the Asus does weigh more than the Acer so I'd like to know. I've used the Asus 701 - been there and done that. What would you say based on your own experiences?

tenashus1, Aug 31, 2008
  2. tenashus1

RavenMaster

The screen is greet.
    You can see the 7" -> 8.9" difference but the 10" -> 8.9" you don't.
    The max resolution is the same and the screen is amazing.

You won't regreat.

RavenMaster, Aug 31, 2008
  3. tenashus1

lems

Previous 701 owner, just upgraded to the Acer One, and the screen is like night & day. It's a huge improvement on the 701. I can't comment on it compared to a 10" though.

lems, Aug 31, 2008
  4. tenashus1

Guest Guest

use ctrl and + to increase magnification

Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  5. tenashus1

midgetdiablo

If you get the Windows version, the Aspire One also has a pinching feature on the touchpad which allows you to zoom in/out of text by simply pinching.

midgetdiablo, Aug 31, 2008
  6. tenashus1

pict1201

My wife has an Advent 4211 (MSI Wind) with a 10" screen. I have the Aspire One with 8.9" screen. Both of us wear glasses for reading. I can't say there's a huge difference in the screen, both are very readable. I've only had the Aspire for just over a day but I love it. Screen is brilliant, very quick for a basic model (the Linpus Linux with 512Mb ram). Downsides - RAM is difficult to upgrade. However, unlike most machines I've bought in the past I don't feel the need with this one. Thoroughly recommended and at £199 from Currys a steal. :lol:

pict1201, Aug 31, 2008
  7. tenashus1

billr

hi

I've had my Aspire one for 3days -the screen is great - yes as others have mentioned there is a zoom function on the touch pad just by moving/pinching 2 fingers at once hey presto the whole web page is enlarged!! great!!

billr, Sep 1, 2008
  8. tenashus1

JimK

I have an astigmatism and I really can't read the screen without my bifocals, whereas I can read a larger desktop monitor without them. However, with my glasses on, I can read it fine. The screen is really very sharp and bright.

JimK, Sep 1, 2008
  9. tenashus1

Achilles

I defintety need reading glasses to see the text at normal font sizes. However the display is sharp and bright and with my glasses on have no problems whatsoever.

Achilles, Sep 1, 2008
  10. tenashus1

RavenMaster

That is a feature included on the drivers.
    I have a Linpus version with XP SP3 installed and it does that too ;)

RavenMaster, Sep 1, 2008
  11. tenashus1

rjm

Just to voice a minority opinion:

Its nevertheless a small screen and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who in general finds reading computer monitors troublesome. Unless the mobility is really important a low cost notebook would be a better choice.

rjm, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question