Only Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

Do you only have Linux installed on your computer or do also have windows?
    I have both Ubuntu studio and windows 10 installed on my laptop.

SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

I only run windows in a virtual machine. :p I have linux, BSD, QNX, and alternative OSes like Minuet on bare metal hardware. I trust those a lot more than windows. On one of my machines I have a hackintosh bare metal of OS X, but it's more of a proof of concept and alternative to having to buy an apple device for development when Apple users need something, but that's the only exception to the rule. The only time a bare metal run of Windows ever happens on a system is if it's a live CD since I don't trust any of the installations from Microsoft whatsoever anymore unless it's done to a virtual machine only.

IBMPC8088, Mar 12, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  3. SirJoe

fcuco

Do you do Music Production or create music? Care to share the gear that you use? Is the whole Ubuntu Studio scene still alive because I never heard from it again. When I was heavely into music I wanted to try Ubuntu Studio but I never got the chance nor the hardware to try it.

fcuco, Mar 29, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. SirJoe

SirJoe

I do photography and Ubuntu has a whole lot of programs dedicated to it. The also have software for video editing and music composition. If you don't want to install it on bare metal you can install it on a virtual machine or burn it onto a CD/DVD or a USB stick and try it out without installing it.

SirJoe, Mar 30, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

As much as I don't want to admit it, Windows does have some really good multimedia programs that linux by comparison could use improvement on. You can still do everything you need to with linux, but the advantages with select types of multimedia and doing it still favor windows to a degree, which is why I always emulate what I need (even without network access to a virtual machine for a windows media editing encapsulation), and then just use network access or whatever else I need that linux does better overtop of the real machine.

When it comes to audio editing, you can use programs like Audacious and a few others to get the job done right for you, but you'll still have an easier time of doing it more rapidly if you're using programs like Sony Soundforge or Sony Vegas Pro 13, Fruity Loops, Steinberg Cubase, and other programs like that which have more refined features than the ones normally released for linux systems.

You can emulate many windows audio programs overtop of linux natively with WINE instead of virtualizing it too, and just run it next to your linux programs without having to run a VM at all, but I normally don't do this anymore since the security risks from windows program design and access partially carries over to linux systems (not completely, but enough to make it an issue for me). For most users, this is a great alternative though and not anything to worry about if they just use their PC for media or audio/video editing. There are some really great audio and video editing programs for linux, and many of them are free...but there's not as many as windows has, and the earning curve for many consumers will be more steep than on windows.

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  6. SirJoe

IcyBC

In an attempt to revive my 2 years old HP laptop, my nephew installed Linux Mint, running along on my Window OS. It runs, yes, however it still is overheating, and I came to admit that my laptop might need new fans. Otherwise, while it is on it made running noise all the time. I think my laptop is at a useless stage now. Even with Linux Mint on it, I can't have it more than 10 minutes!

IcyBC, Apr 3, 2016
  7. SirJoe

spence88

Yeah definitely, try cleaning or replacing the fans. I would suppose you most likely have done this already, but have you monitored your idle and load system temperatures while using Windows? Try replacing the thermal paste of the CPU or GPU if the temperatures are getting too high even on startup. It's too bad that it got to that state given that it's only 2 years old. You can still bring it back! :)

spence88, Apr 4, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. SirJoe

IcyBC

I might have to take it to the repair store when I found one that is reliable! I don't know anything about replacing parts in my laptop and I probably ruin it even worse than the stage it is in currently. I just hate the thought that I can only use my HP for two years. What a waste of money :(

IcyBC, Apr 4, 2016
  9. SirJoe

spence88

Yes, of course, Replacing thermal paste of the CPU or GPU normally requires you to completely disassamble your laptop, which voids your warranty, so yes, I think you have to take it to a good repair store or a hardware professional. I too don't like to disassemble my laptop. I can take out the back cover to clean the fans and replace / add hard drives and memory, but that's it.

Nah, I still believe you can fix this!

spence88, Apr 5, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. SirJoe

nytegeek

The operating system choice shouldn't have been the first consideration it seems. It doesn't matter what you put on an overheating laptop if you don't resolve the hardware issues first. A good cleaning, new thermal paste, and replacement fans may be in order.

nytegeek, Apr 7, 2016
  11. SirJoe

IcyBC

You are right of course! I just thought that nephew would notice this problem first, but apparently he is air-headed, lol..He is an IT man too. I guess, he didn't pay attention to it!

IcyBC, Apr 10, 2016
  12. SirJoe

nytegeek

There are educational and industry standards that a lot of IT people managed to get out of completing because they were able to demonstrate some sort of experience or because they know just enough to get in the door somewhere. Just because a person is employed in the industry people will assume they have the knowledge even if they have gaping holes in their education. Current CompTIA A+ certification is a must for anybody dealing with a hardware issue, but you will find tons of self professed techs that don't have or believe they need it. I learned on my own, much like many of these folks, but I also went and got the credentials and certifications to back it up. What these guys don't realize is that they really don't know as much as they think they do and that everybody can benefit from some formal training.

Another consideration is that there a lot of jobs that may fall under the umbrella of IT or Computer Science in general. I know software developers that can barely find the on switch let alone diagnose or repair a hardware issue. I know people that do computer repair that haven't got a clue about how operating systems or the software works, they just understand the hardware. I'm not going to take advice from a graphic designer on computer repair just as an example. I have a friend that did contract work for Intel, he is very smart and very good at his job, but I wouldn't let him near one of my computers if something needed fixing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    nytegeek, Apr 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
Ask a Question