One particular program I really really need!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by istruggle2gate11, Nov 7, 2008.

1. istruggle2gate11

istruggle2gate11

Hi all,

Newbie to this forum and to Linux - First post - be gentle please!

Ive read the basics on Linux and other posts on this forum, however my problems continue......

I have the acer aspire one with linpus 512mb ram, 8b drive.

I have no intention of modifying it software wise (its perfect for my needs) with one exception, I really need to install a program called megatunix http://megatunix.sourceforge.net/ and just cannot do it. The irony of all this is that the program is designed for Linux and I happily managed to install on a windows machine about 18 months ago with absolutely no issues.

Are their any kind Linpus gods out there willing to talk me through it step by step - or indeed is it possible?

I have spoken to the guy who created the program, this was his response..........

I'm not familiar with that model or distro of linux. wikipedia says it's fedora based (i.e. RPM packages).

I don't use redhat or redhat derived distros any longer for development so the setup will be a wee bit trickier but should be doable.

If you have access to a shell/terminal on it, you can try the following:
    CODE: SELECT ALL
    yum -y install gtkglext-devel g++ gcc flex bison glade-2 glade2-devel make cvs gdb automake1.9

If that works, follow the ubuntu install guide from the "Downloading and compiling a MegaTunix tarball" point.

Odds are that distro has some packages named differently so here's another thing to help you out.
    yum list >/tmp/yumlist

then search for the packages needed with grep, i.e. :
    grep automake /tmp/yumlist

If it comes back with something close to the list above, install it, for example
    yum -y install automake

For the life of me, I just cannot make it work, Im happy to learn, but to be brutally honest, I dont need to know too much, its the only add on I require for this machine.

Thanks In Advance

istruggle2gate11, Nov 7, 2008
  2. istruggle2gate11

istruggle2gate11

A gentle bump to the top............. gutted i cant get this program to work........really dont wont to go to windows.

istruggle2gate11, Nov 8, 2008
  3. istruggle2gate11

scottro

If you first do (might not be necessary any longer--I'm not using Linpus at this point, so I'm not sure)
    yum -y update fedora release

and try his suggestions, that is, yum -y install <list that he gave you>?

scottro, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question