Old Toshiba Satellite laptop overheating

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Sefie, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi all! I have already mentioned in the past I have a new Toshiba laptop and an old one, I'm still using the old one from time to time (on my desktop), but I have noticed it overheats easily. Specially during summer and spring, it overheats so much it feels a bit hot to the touch and then it shuts itself down!

Should I get rid of this laptop or go on using it? Could this be dangerous? Is it risky? The battery is no longer inside the laptop when I'm using it for the same reason.

Sefie, Mar 7, 2014
  2. Sefie

something back

Only you will know this one? HOWEVER have you tried seeing if the vents are blocked.taking it down to a local garage and using the air line
    to clean it out could work.it's a no cost way to find out, it could just work.

They should get warm but never hot

something back, Mar 7, 2014
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks, Something back. I was just wondering if that was dangerous, since it really feels hot to the touch, very hot if you compare it to the new laptop that never gets really warm! I will try what you said, but I also forgot to mention my old laptop started to make a really odd sound when the shutting down incident started.

Sefie, Mar 7, 2014
  4. Sefie

something back

Then with what you are saying it's time to stop using it, and retire it,hope it's been a good servant.

something back, Mar 7, 2014
  5. Sefie

Sefie

I thought so too, but the laptop is still working and that noise isn't something permanent or something that happens often. I'd love to find out the reason behind that sound tho, maybe is something that can be fixed. I wanted to give that laptop to my mom.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Sefie, Mar 8, 2014
  6. Sefie

something back

GET A QUOTE FROM A LOCAL COMPUTER SHOP. IT MAY BE AS SIMPLE A WORN FAN. BUT PLEASE STOP USING IT.

something back, Mar 8, 2014
  7. Sefie

hispoiema

The same thing happened with my old Toshiba. After cleaning the fan it worked better. I also put it on top of an old crate and sat on my bed and used it. Anything to get air-flow underneath.

hispoiema, Mar 8, 2014
    Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Sefie

mikelouis

Check to ensure that system fan is working. The reason why it is overheating is because there is no enough cooling going on the machine and processor in general. Also blow out some dust that might be making the fan to be less effective. I hope this helps before deciding what to do with it next.

mikelouis, Mar 9, 2014
  9. Sefie

burguera

I have an old satellite and had the same problem of overheating.... until I put four pens under it to elevate and let more flow of air: since then, it has never overheated again.
    jcb

burguera, Apr 15, 2014
  10. Sefie

mohamed samir

mohamed samir, Sep 17, 2015
  11. Sefie

IcyBC

My HP laptop had the same problem, and I bought the air can to clean it out. It didn't turn itself off, but just hot to the touch. Maybe a laptop cooling fan can help too!

IcyBC, Sep 18, 2015
  12. Sefie

Sefie

Thank you guys, I bought a new laptop last year. I still have the old Toshiba, but the fan is still giving trouble. It's ok, because i barely use it now. I only use it in case of emergencies. I noticed that the machine overheat when I was playing a video game or after prolonged use.

@something back Is it because the battery could get very warm and explode or something like that? can that really happen even if the laptop shuts itself off when it gets very warm?

Sefie, Sep 30, 2015
  13. Sefie

LukaszR

Where can i find fan driver software for windows because of overheating issues.
    driver downloader shows more when using vpn?
    Where is toshiba forum shouldn't i write.
    ati2dvag shows no own configs
    upgrade to win 10-11 solves issue
    how many viruses is showing today
    why i bother...

edit, unknown reasons of blue screens (heat & disc space)?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    LukaszR, Jan 27, 2022
  14. Sefie

something back

Please tell me your model number, I will try to do an internet search

something back, Jan 27, 2022
Ask a Question