Old Sony Vaio purchased in 2004

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by IPexpress, Jan 22, 2013.

1. IPexpress

IPexpress

I've an old Sony Vaio purchased in 2004, cost a lot of money at the time. Would anyone still use such a device?

IPexpress, Jan 22, 2013
  2. IPexpress

ryptyde

Why not use it? Is it broken? Probably came with Windows XP. I have a couple of old desktops that still run XP one is an H-P and the other a Sony. Everybody is obsessed with speed, RAM and multi-core processors. If one uses it just to connect to the net and check email and browse it should be fine. :)

ryptyde, Jan 23, 2013
  3. IPexpress

Spetznia

Got a couple of pld laptops myself one with XP and an older luggable one with 98 on, still work ok and still can connect to the internet. via a usb stick
    never give up a bit of nostalgia.

Spetznia, Sep 16, 2013
  4. IPexpress

Ziggy925

I sell my old laptops on eBay, otherwise I give them to family members who need them. Remember to clean off your data, and regardless of what you paid for it don't expect much in return. I recently gave a NetBook to my girlfriend, sold a Compaq on eBay for about $75 and gave an old Thinkpad to my niece. Made two people happy and applied the $75 to a new notebook.

Ziggy925, Sep 17, 2013
  5. IPexpress

goldie

older machines are great for experimenting on Linux. there quite a few distros that will work great out of the box..Just starting out I would say try Puppy Linux.Its small
    and compact and not a lot of eyecandy to distract you.I'm a gnome fan mainly because I like the stability of it. I would suggest downloading several flavors to find one that best suits you.

goldie, Oct 15, 2013
  6. IPexpress

LindaKay

I would clean it out and still use it. It should be fine unless you play games with heavy graphics and such. For plain old Web browsing, it should be just fine.

LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014
  7. IPexpress

jordanmc97

You could always use it as a media center if you don't have a smart TV, a wireless mouse/keyboard and you can hook it up to the TV and watch films/browse the web on your TV.

jordanmc97, Feb 19, 2014
  8. IPexpress

morguk

Older machines are great for mini experiments with linux and media servers etc. Also, isn't there a scheme where old computers are sent to Africa and re-used?

morguk, Feb 20, 2014
  9. IPexpress

OhioTom76

You probably paid a pretty penny for that relative to the cost of laptops today. I remembered ordering a rather basic Dell laptop around that same time and I still paid over two grand for it - actually I think it was around $2,500 total, and it was pretty under-powered.

I would try and get as much use out of it while you still can, since Microsoft is dropping support for Windows XP in a few months (next month I believe) - and unless it has enough power to upgrade to Windows 7 (which it might, actually), it's not going to be of much use for much longer.

You could also perhaps run a server off of it too, or something like that - if you do web development.

OhioTom76, Feb 27, 2014
Ask a Question