Old iPod classic harddrive for use in netbook? + Formatting issues...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Kit, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Kit

Kit

I've bought a 1.8" drive with a zif interface, which was second hand and came from an iPod Classic. I thought when I went to install XP or 7 on the laptop, I would be able to format it. It doesn't seem to be able to access the drive to format it.

So I made a bootable USB of Ubuntu and used GParted to try and format it to NTFS. Every time I tried this, it failed - and yet GParted seemed happy to format the drive to Fat32 or Ex4.

Once formatted to Ex4 I tried to do a full installation of Ubuntu to see if it would work, the installation ran until the end but when it restarted it booted back up onto the USB drive, and when I tried without the USB drive in, it couldn't load Ubuntu.

I tried another, but known to be broken, iPod HDD and the same issue occurred - it happily removed the existing partitions however wouldn't create an NTFS partition.

What does all this mean?

Thanks, Kit.

Kit, Dec 31, 2016
  2. Kit

something back

something back, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Kit

Kit

I can't get the laptop onto windows to use any software like that, and I don't have another computer with the right interface, so I'm sort of stuck with Ubuntu.
    Also, would that software do anything differently to Gparted, or would it still struggle to format it? I read on another forum that apple have prevented the drive from being formatted to NTFS, or any bootable format whatsoever. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks, Kit.

Kit, Jan 11, 2017
Ask a Question