Office 2002 / Word

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Shiniquiet, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Shiniquiet

Shiniquiet

I'm trying to find a free/cheap verson of Word for my wife's AOA 150. (I can use Open Office but she just can't seem to get the drift.) Anyway, I found an old version of Office xp 2002 standard which I thought had Word. I can find Works but not Word. Surfing around it looks like an old Word version ought to be part of the package but I'll be dipped if I can locate it. What am I missing? Or, does someone have another solution for the AOA 150 with Windows XP?

Shiniquiet, Aug 24, 2013
  2. Shiniquiet

Nestone50

Don't know as Word is part of Office XP 2002. However, you should know Microsoft is dropping support for Office 2002 & 2003 next April. That means no more security updates. I've read the virus hackers will have a field day at that point. For that reason, I recently upgraded to Office 2010.

Nestone50, Sep 11, 2013
  3. Shiniquiet

Spetznia

HI, could try this
    LibreOffice 4.1

free in every way and so easy to use, compatible with all MS office formats.

Spetznia, Sep 16, 2013
  4. Shiniquiet

Nestone50

Nestone50, Sep 17, 2013
  5. Shiniquiet

mikelouis

Without the support for such products from Microsoft, then I would not advice you to install them. With no security updates, security threats can be severe. You can use LibreOffice it is free and much lighter.

mikelouis, Mar 3, 2014
  6. Shiniquiet

Sefie

I'm almost 100% sure that Word was part of that package, but it's an XP one so installing it might not be the best idea. I'd advice you to look elsewhere, there are several softwares that are very similar to Office, have you tried Google Docs? It's free and I have heard it works great. She could also try Koffice.

Sefie, Mar 3, 2014
  7. Shiniquiet

OhioTom76

There are several alternatives listed here, which include FreeOffice and Kingsoft Office as well:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-microsoft-office-alternatives/#!y4SOL

I know that Open Office isn't exactly the same as Microsoft Office - but considering Office 2002 is over 12 years old, a lot has changed since then. Even the latest version of Office 2013 has an entirely different interface. Google Docs isn't bad for basic stuff, plus you will have online backups of your files which will come in handy if your computer crashes.

OhioTom76, Mar 9, 2014
Ask a Question