Odd prob. zg5 won't turn off! Keeps rebooting after shuttin

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by skikir, Feb 23, 2011.

1. skikir

skikir

Well, here's one I can't find on this site so far. I have a couple of ZG5s AOA150 I bought off ebay and craigslist. The first was to use for free network radio at work since we can't get radio inside our building. I got it off crags list. The kid I bought it from said the hard drive was fried so I got if for $50. Well the hard drive was not bad and I restored the OS from the service partition and reflashed bios to .3310 to take care of the charging problem. It worked so fine I got another fixer upper off ebay for a few bucks to use in the truck for hunting and off roading with a GPS and general use in the garage or what ever. It did not have a hard drive so I used a spare I had and cloned the first hard drive and updated the bios again and it works so well I use it more than my big Dell 15 inch duel core laptop. I showed it to a friend of ours and she was really taken by it so I had this Idea of getting her one for a birth day present. I bid on two on ebay figuring on winning one and won both. So again cloned an other hard drive and flashed the bios and all is well except I can't get the damned thing to turn off when I go to shut it down. I reinstalled the OS twice and reflashed twice and still won't shut off. If I shut down all the normal procedures (Alt F4, power button, turn of computer...) it does every thing fine. It shuts down, screen goes black and just as you think the green power light should go off it starts to boot up again! It's like it's getting the signal to restart instead of shut down. It's just a pain to have to sit and wait until the screen goes black to hold down the power button. If I hold down the power button when the screen goes black it will turn off. (yes yes "remove power and battery" ....not acceptable.) I don't think it is the power button because if I hit it it will shut down (and then reboot.) If I hold it down it will turn off. If I hit it it will turn on like it should. Another thing I have noticed is that if I boot to a Linux USB drive it behaves the same way so I don't think it is a Windows problem. I have turned the boot on LAN off in the bios. So is there something I am missing here?

skikir, Feb 23, 2011
  2. skikir

skikir

Re: Odd prob. zg5 won't turn off! Keeps rebooting after shu

got all you gurus baffled do I?

skikir, Mar 17, 2011
  3. skikir

donec

I didn't see this before but it sounds to me like the power button is sticking or if there is a relay from the power button to the power supply then it could be sticking. They do that with desktops often.

donec, Mar 17, 2011
  4. skikir

Forone

If it is a sticky switch, I've successfully used electrical contact spray - pure solvent, no lubricant, the stuff they used to use as tape head cleaner - available in small spray cans with spray tubes from electronics shops. The spray works great for keyboards or internal parts that gunk up, and won't harm anything. Evaporates clean and quickly.

Re the software, XP (don't know about W7) can be forced to shut down using a desktop shortcut to the file shutdown.exe, as follows:

http://www.go4expert.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570

and here are handles:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/shortcuts2.htm

I use the handles "-s -f -t 0"
    (i..e.zero) which adds "forced" to the shutdown command. Good luck.

Forone, Mar 17, 2011
Ask a Question