O2 dongle and access to "the Cloud"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joe90jnr, Jun 23, 2009.

1. joe90jnr

joe90jnr

Got my AA1 with Linux working with an O2 dongle, it was easy once I turned off the "work off line tab" in the file menu of Firefox!

I have the dongle working fine through "mobile partner" now but could anyone tell me if they have used the "free WiFi service" when in a "the Cloud" WiFi area?

Do I need to have my wifi turned on, do i need the dongle plugged in to get a connection?

When I plug the dongle into a Xp machine the software which automatically installed would tell you when there is a WiFi spot near by, because the software only support XP and a Mac I do not have this service on the Linux machine.

Any hints would be appreciated

Steve

joe90jnr, Jun 23, 2009
  2. joe90jnr

millimole

I host a BT-Fon spot so I guess the principle is the same.
    I would suggest that you do not need the dongle plugged in and you do need the Wi-Fi turned on - you will need to select the Cloud point you are connecting to manually from those that the Wifi Sees on a rescan.
    I think it's the Windows software that will allow your XP machine to locate the nearest Cloud spot for you. I don't think this is available for Linpus.
    Lots of guesses here, but maybe you'll get a better answer soon

millimole, Jul 5, 2009
  3. joe90jnr

melhiore

The Cloud authorizes you by mobile number of your o2 USB dongle... As per Customer Service you need to have some Top-up on your SIM/account to use The Cloud - had no time to test it w/o credit - so you need to top-up any way and obviously you can use WiFi/Hot-spot search engine available on o2 website: http://o2-cloud.directoryconnection.com/ ... Only advantage comparing to 3G is that it's not taking any data from your limit but works only in topped-up time...

melhiore, Jul 5, 2009
  4. joe90jnr

joe90jnr

HI Guys

Thanks for the feeback, i will try it out in the next couple of weeks and will try to feedback on my findings. Just for information, I do have/ will have credit on the dongle account. Like most of us we use Wifi at home so this is only every a backup.
    Appreciate your input, Steve
    ;)

joe90jnr, Jul 6, 2009
  5. joe90jnr

CragFace

This is from the O2 website...

There is a simple, one time, registration process. You have to go to a Cloud hotspot and Connection Manager will automatically launch the O2/Cloud landing page. You will need to enter the mobile phone number of your Mobile Broadband SIM and you will be registered. From then on you will automatically be connected to The Cloud when you are in a Cloud hotspot area. If you get a failed registration you should text WiFi to 2121 (you can do this from Connection Manager provided you are connected to the O2 data network). This clears any validation of your Mobile Broadband SIM number to your laptop. This can take up to 30 minutes to do. After this you will need to disconnect from Wi-Fi and reconnect. This disconnect and re-connect will take you back to the Cloud landing page to register.

Looks like you get free wifi? :)

CragFace, Jul 7, 2009
  6. joe90jnr

melhiore

I see people are using o2 dongles. Just to let you know there is place where you can download Mobile Partner Dashboard for E160 since o2 software (Connection Manager) changes settings for Wi-Fi to get over control of wireless in your laptop. I upgraded to Mobile Partner and from now on I have Intel software to control my Wi-Fi and Mobile Partner to control 3G modem....

Link to mentioned download: http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Downloads/

melhiore, Jul 11, 2009
  7. joe90jnr

joe90jnr

Hi CraigFace
    Free wifi with O2, yes! I did choose this because we were traveling this summer, just wanted to know how the setup would work before I needed to use it proper. I will pop down to McD to try out the system.

I am sure that Vodafone is good if you only want to use it now and then as the credit does not expire (if you log on every 180 days). I tried to get a payg vodafone broadband sim but they only sell them with the dongle..... don't want / need another one!

Appreciate the input, Steve

joe90jnr, Jul 13, 2009
Ask a Question