Notes on some AOA110/150 Modifications

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jerryt, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jerryt

jerryt

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  2. jerryt

jerryt

Re: Notes on some AAO Modifications

Touchscreen
    (Toptouchscreen instructions, drivers and videos.
    http://www.kiddshop.com/install/touchscreen.htm)
    Not recommending this company anymore.

Touchscreen Seller
    I suggest http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Onetouch4sale__W0QQ_armrsZ1

-----

Tablet PC software for XP, Vista and Windows 7
    http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.p ... opic=21199

-----

Interesting alternative to touchscreen, Duo Laptop Pen
    http://www.penandfree.com/

Duo Pen Seller
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mctnh2009 ... omZQQ_ipgZ

-----

Aspire One 8.9" model Screw lengths for re-assembly

All measurements in inches.

6ea Bezel screws, and 3ea screws in front of case facing up. = .150 head dia X .225 long

3ea screws for CPU cooler, 1ea Motherboard screw next to WiFi card, 3ea daughter board screws, 3ea screws under the battery facing up, 4ea speaker screws, and 1ea Wifi card screw. = .173 dia head X .150 to .155 long

5ea screws under keyboard, 8ea screws for hinges to housings (upper and lower). = .150 dia head X .184 long

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  3. jerryt

jerryt

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  4. jerryt

jerryt

ATSC Tuner

Reserved space

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  5. jerryt

jerryt

External WiFi Antenna

Reserved space

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  6. jerryt

jerryt

WiFi / WiMax upgrade

Reserved space

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  7. jerryt

jerryt

List of AOA110 / 150 USB ports

1 -CN18 motheboard left side external
    2 - Daughter board right side external
    3 - Daughter board right side external
    4 - CN11 motherboard internal[attachment=0:3g3l5by7]CN11 Pinout.jpg[/attachment:3g3l5by7]
    5 - Camera internal (CN1 LCD connector pin 10 = D- and pin 11 = D+)
    6 - 3G slot (Pin 36 = D- and pin 38 = D+)
    7 - WLAN (WiFi) slot (Pin 36 = D- and pin 38 = D+)
    8 - RN42 motherboard internal, near daughter board connector[attachment=1:3g3l5by7]RN42 USB port.jpg[/attachment:3g3l5by7]

Pictures show where to connect D+ and D- for CN11 and the last available USB port RN42 on bottom of motherboard near CN23 (Daughter board connector).

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  8. jerryt

jerryt

Ram Access Door

Reserved space

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  9. jerryt

jerryt

3G / HSDPA installation on AOA 110 or 150

Parts

Kits available on Ebay from Hong Kong supplier; http://stores.shop.ebay.com/R-Cube-Tech ... =3g+aspire

Mini PCIe Connectors;
    Joerg Wuestner responded to requests for samples (not free) of 119A-92C00-R (9.2mm) at email;
    [email protected]
    He then passed me to Jessica for processing, Jessica email is;
    [email protected]

(Molex has a 9.0 mm high mPCIe connector part number 0483380090, or 48338-0090, which fits fine if you can get them).

Sim connectors part number SPPN06A00040
    40.00 for 4 shipped (5 each for 4 plus 20 shipping) from;
    [email protected]

Antenna - Search "Lenovo U.FL WWAN/EVDO/HSDPA Broadband Antenna AE" on Ebay or email the seller at [email protected]. The antenna costs $10.00 (see picture below)

Tools

Minimum tools needed; 10x magnifying visor. Temperature controlled soldering iron (.015 solder tip). Flux pen, Copper de-soldering braid. Multimeter.

Technical Skills

To perform this modification, you must have;
    a) previously performed work like this,
    b) Own the tools listed above, and
    c) Know how to use a multimeter
    That said, perform this modification at your own risk...

Installing the Mini PCI Express connector

1) Use copper de-soldering braid and clean the motherboard mPCIe mounting pad of any solder.
    2) Measure the resistance of each adjacent pad with a multimeter, record the values on the Mini PCI Express pin out chart. (You will need this information to verify that none of the pins have solder bridges when you are done.)
    3) Flux the connector pins and solder pads. Place connector on the board and solder four outside corner pins first (pins 1, 2, 51 and 52). Solder the remaining pins.
    4) Clean visible solder bridges with copper de-soldering braid.
    5) Measure each adjacent pad with multimeter, and compare reading with previously recorded values.
    6) Pin can be bridged behind the pins (invisible). To fix this type of solder bridge heat one of the two pins involved and while the solder is molten, lift the motherboard an inch off the table and tap the motherboard to the table in the direction you want the solder to move.
    7) Don’t forget the power jumper; http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/298 ... 718788110/
    [attachment=4:36rgf4f4]Mini_PCIe_pinout_board_view.JPG[/attachment:36rgf4f4]

Installing The Sim Reader (AOA110 / 150 only)

1) Bend the pins on the Sim Reader up so that they come straight out the back of the Sim Reader. Cut or break off the two mounting pads (For solder pads)
    2) Solder six different color wires to the first six pins. Alternate one wire on top of pin and the next wire soldered to bottom of pin, this will make more room for heat shrink tubing.
    3) Put heat shrink tubing over pins and shrink. Lay Sim Reader on motherboard and solder wires to Sim Reader Mounting pad.
    See Sim Reader and Motherboard Pin JPEG, on how to correct Sim Reader pin out to match motherboard pin out.
    Measure for zero resistance between these connections;
    Sim Reader "VCC" - to - mPCIe pin 8 "UIM_PWR"
    Sim Reader "GND" - to - mPCIe pin 18 "GND"
    Sim Reader "RST" - to - mPCIe pin 14 "UIM_RESET"
    Sim Reader "VPP" - to - mPCIe pin 16 "UIM_VPP"
    Sim Reader "CLK" - to - mPCIe pin 12 "UIM_CLK"
    Sim Reader "I/O" - to - mPCIe pin 10 "UIM_DATA"
    Don’t forget power jumper; http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/298 ... 718788110/
    4) After you test operation, hold the Sim Reader in position and solder casing to the four solder mounting pads on the motherboard.[attachment=2:36rgf4f4]Installed Sim Reader.jpg[/attachment:36rgf4f4][attachment=3:36rgf4f4]Wiring the Sim Reader.jpg[/attachment:36rgf4f4]

Modifying the WiFi switch

The 3G slot is disabled in software until the WifI switch is moved left to enable the slot. But the plastic button which operates the WiFi switch will not allow movement to the left.

1) With a small flat bladed screw driver, pry the button retainer away from the button just enough for the button to come out. (Be careful don’t break the retainer).
    2) With a file and hand held hack saw blade cut 1/8 to 5/16 of an inch of the left side of the button away. (Only the portion of the button which sticks through the case) See the attached picture.
    3) Snap the button back in place.[attachment=1:36rgf4f4]Modified Wifi switch button.jpg[/attachment:36rgf4f4]

Antenna
    See picture of the 3G antenna which fits in the screen bezel after you cut off the mounting tab and remove the plastic.[attachment=0:36rgf4f4]3G antenna.jpg[/attachment:36rgf4f4]

Install the 3G card and antenna.
    Install the software.
    Don’t forget to enable the card with the WiFi switch.

Internal GPS
    With the Sierra Wireless MC8781 mPCIe HSDPA modem card.

1) You need to unlock the unit first if you desire to have it unlocked. You can use "DC unlocker" to unlock the card, there is a cost.

2) Next download the latest firmware (AC881U_F1_2_3_15ap.exe )
    http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/s ... d=4,45,1,1
    for the card and update the firmware. (Note - Card will not be able to be unlocked after firmware upgrade). I recommend you also download the "International Scan Tool ", because it is very useful.

3) Finally run the 3G watcher program and select GPS from the menu. You don't need a sim card for the GPS to work. After the card picks up the satellites, start your GPS program.

jerryt, Apr 20, 2009
  10. jerryt

jerryt

Pin 20 logic for WiFi and 3G cards

wifi - power on pin 20 (by internal jumper on card) = card enabled (Adding a jumper from 3.3 volts on the card to pin 20 enables the card) see; viewtopic.php?f=73&t=15996#p96447
    3G - pin 20 taped (no power) = card enabled

jerryt, Jul 11, 2009
  11. jerryt

jerryt

Adding Sim Reader to D250 for 3G cards (Note this is not for AOA110 / 150)

Very straight forward installation since the Sim reader pinouts match the motherboard pinouts.

Used a Molex part number 0475530001 sim reader.

There are seven solder pads on the motherboard, the first one is not used. it is marked "7". The Sim reader is taped in two places to prevent shorts with the motherboard. The Sim reader housing is secured by soldering using the two solder pads in the corner near the sim slot. (Only the right side motherboard solder pad securing the sim reader is visable in the picture, top right side of sim reader).

The 3G card operated fine with an external antenna, and pin 20 of the card taped. It would appear that only bios version 1.02 supported switching the 3G card on and off with the WiFi switch.

jerryt, Jul 11, 2009
  12. jerryt

davy28

Hello everyone,

I've purchased the pci-e slot & sim holder from ebay seller (in this topic).
    Received & soldered everything like described, but here are the problems.

1) when i put a sim card into sim reader (or take it out) the computer shuts down
    2) the sierra umts cards isn't found in device manager (but when I put in the same slot a wifi card it's recognized).
    And yes, the wifi/3G switch is working (put 2 wifi cards at same time to test on/off switch)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Davy

davy28, Jul 28, 2009
  13. jerryt

jerryt

What model?

AOA110 / 150 does not have the ability to operate wifi cards in the 3G slot.

Shuting down the computer when inserting or removing the sim would indicate to me that you have a wire wrong on the sim reader.
    Check continuity on the six sim reader wires to the mPCIe connector.

Did you check for solder bridges when you installed the mPCIe?

jerryt, Jul 28, 2009
  14. jerryt

davy28

Hello again.

I've got model AOA150.

I've soldered all the pins from the pci-e dongle and soldered exactly all the right cables to sim reader and to motherboard. I've also bridged the 2 connections (for power)

What do you mean by bridges? And how can you trace the link between sim reader en pci-e?

I can tell you that when you put a wifi card into second pci-e card it's working..Tested several times.

Thanks,
    Davy

davy28, Jul 29, 2009
  15. jerryt

jerryt

"Solder bridges" on the mPCIe connector is where solder shorts two adjacent pins during installation of the mPCIe connector. It can only be determined by comparing the resistance readings of each adjacent pin before and after installation. The short (Solder bridge) is not visible because it is under the connector.

Measure for zero resistance between these connections;
    Sim Reader "VCC" - to - mPCIe pin 8 "UIM_PWR"
    Sim Reader "GND" - to - mPCIe pin 18 "GND"
    Sim Reader "RST" - to - mPCIe pin 14 "UIM_RESET"
    Sim Reader "VPP" - to - mPCIe pin 16 "UIM_VPP"
    Sim Reader "CLK" - to - mPCIe pin 12 "UIM_CLK"
    Sim Reader "I/O" - to - mPCIe pin 10 "UIM_DATA"

Did you add wires to the Sim Reader to correct the fact that the motherboard and sim reader pin outs do not match?

What model WiFi card?

Is it going online or simply loading the drivers?

jerryt, Jul 29, 2009
  16. jerryt

davy28

Hi again,

Sorry for my dumb questions, but I'm not an engineer in electronic parts...

How do I measure the resistance (with volt meter?)? And do you mean some ping on PCI-connector make some shortcircuits (because 2 pins are connected)?
    Yes, I did/wired exactly as was explained on page 1 of this topic the sim reader to motherboard.
    Concerning the wifi card, i only cheked if it was active in device manager, didn't use, nor connected to wifi with both cards..

Thanks for the help.

Really appriciate it.

Davy

davy28, Jul 30, 2009
  17. jerryt

jerryt

Yes, with a voltmeter on ohms.

Yes, very easy to get two pins shorted on the mPCIe connector, so the resistance measurements before and after soldering are the only way to find the shorts. Again these shorts on the mPCIe they are not visable because they are under the connector.

Maybe you skipped steps like the resistance checks during installation because you did not have voltmeter???

jerryt, Jul 30, 2009
  18. jerryt

ashram

ashram, Jul 31, 2009
  19. jerryt

jerryt

It is a mod which has been completed for a long time. Reserved the space to remind myself to document the mod.
    1) I took a "Pinnacle PCTV HD mini Stick",
    2) Removed it's plastic housing
    3) Cut the USB connector off the "Mini Stick" circuit board with high speed cutting wheel
    4) Modified the AOA150 Daughter board by removing the card reader,
    5) Mounted "Mini Stick to daughter board with heatsink hard setting cement
    6) Modified lower housing to make tuner look original, see attached picture.
    [attachment=0:3j0cyd77]Mounted%20ATSC%20Tuner.jpg[/attachment:3j0cyd77]
    If anyone needs more information I will write a longer discription

Working on another mod which would add a full mPCIe slot circuit board attached to the memory module of the AOA110 / 150 models.
    Should be able to use USB and PCI bus mPCIe devices.
    Looking at using the circuit board from the 881u, because it is a very thin board.
    That would give a person 3 mPCIe slots on the AOA110 / 150

jerryt, Jul 31, 2009
  20. jerryt

mali

Wow! Really good work :D

Reading "mPCIe" reminded me of something I read a while ago:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=397667

Could be an interesting experiment! If someone who knows this stuff could check if the BIOS allocates the necessary resources for the graphics card would be the first step. Unfortunately that's not my area. With RW-Everything it is possible to check that kind of stuff I suppose, but I don't know how.

Edit:
    http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock/compatibility.html

mali, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question