Notebook or Laptop?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by judyd1, Jun 6, 2016.

1. judyd1

judyd1

Do you think laptops are becoming obsolete? More people these days are switching to Notebooks, and I very rarely see laptops except the people surfing outside with free wi-fi at the local library.

I think Notebooks are really good for most computing needs, but laptops have the "feel" of a PC in the keyboard features.

Do you use a notebook? or a laptop? Or both for different reasons?

judyd1, Jun 6, 2016
  2. judyd1

fcuco

What is exactly a Notebook for you? I think there is no difference between a Notebook and a laptop, Notebooks were kind of a fad: very low powered laptops basically, what we have now are mostly either Chromebooks or cheap 2 in 1 hybrid tablet laptops, or something like the iPad Pro for what you could call "laptop replacements". Those devices are good for consuming media, not for creating anything serious (with the exception of the iPad Pro but that also has its own limitations). I think that's the main difference, you certainly don't need a laptop for browsing the internet and watching Youtube videos, a tablet will suffice for that, but I doubt you can do any serious video editing on a tablet.

fcuco, Jun 6, 2016
  3. judyd1

Corzhens

My understanding of a notebook is the size. Yesterday we were in the digital zone of a mall, we were checking on the laptops since my husband is back to his haunt for laptops (after deciding to buy desktop, he had a change of mind). The size of the notebook is between the big laptop and the small netbook. But unlike the netbook which is designed for internet use, the notebook is a small laptop with a screen smaller than 12 inches (not sure with the numbers though). But the functions of the notebook is practically the same as that of a laptop.

Corzhens, Jun 6, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. judyd1

fcuco

The funny thing is that if you don't take into account the screen size modern notebooks are orders of magnitude more powerful than some of the most high and laptops of the past in a very small form factor. Actually, computational power is migrating once again from the client to the server and we are going back to goo old mainframes in a sense, a very powerful backend with a client that's basically a dumb box that renders and displays the application's GUI. Very small netbooks failed 10 years ago but because they were ahead of its time.

fcuco, Jun 7, 2016
  5. judyd1

Fuzyon

I use a laptop mainly because I don't have the space for a desktop right now and I need something that I can carry around which is also good for gaming, a notebook would simply not cut it. I've recently seen that yes, notebooks have become really popular in the past couple of years, I would buy one if I didn't have to travel so much for work and college.
    Screen size is also a factor for me, notebooks are usually 13.3".

Fuzyon, Jun 7, 2016
  6. judyd1

Vash

Are you making a joke here?

Notebook is another term of laptop. They are the same thing.

It is just like cellphone vs. mobile phone. Or television vs. TV. What is the difference here? None, nada.

Vash, Jun 26, 2016
  7. judyd1

judyd1

Yes, there are differences between laptops and notebooks.

In case you haven't noticed, laptops are heavier, have more ports and drives for increased functionality, need cooling systems that notebooks don't, and usually have larger screens.

No, I'm not joking. They may have started along the same lines, but there IS a difference.

judyd1, Jul 19, 2016
  8. judyd1

Calin

Technically speaking, a notebook is a certain type of laptop, not something different altoghether.
    There seems to be a trend nowadays in which thiner equals more desireable, but I've never joined that trend. I have a farely bulky yet not that powerful laptop, that I only use when on the go or in very limited situations. Yes, I would have rather had something thiner and lighter, but if carrying 2.8 kg in my backpack a couple of times a month means saving a significang amount of money, then I'm all for it. For gaming purposes I have built myself a sparate rig which I do most of my work on, too. An i3 will do just fine for my other needs, and the price premium needed to upgrade my current laptop to, per say, an ultrabook, is not worth it for me.

Calin, Jul 19, 2016
  9. judyd1

Norb Burkman

I personally like laptops. They have a more normal screen and keypad. I also like the higher end dell's. At our shop we sell business grades systems. We have had a lot of good luck selling those.

Norb Burkman, Aug 16, 2016
  10. judyd1

acerme2

Notebooks, also called netbooks, are smaller than laptops but packs the same power as entry level laptops. I've never wanted netbooks, they're just too small for my purpose. I'm an accountant and a writer and my eyes will certainly suffer if I use netbooks. As far as I know, more people would now prefer to use 10-inch tablets over notebooks because they're touchscreen, easier to carry, and so much easier to use.

acerme2, Aug 18, 2016
  11. judyd1

SirJoe

The big difference between a laptop and notebook is marketing. A notebook is nothing more nothing less then a small version of a laptop, but it's still a laptop.
    I don't think that the classic laptops they aren't becoming obsolete, the difference is that we have more options now then what we had in the past, so people will buy what they need and not necessarily what is available.

SirJoe, Aug 18, 2016
  12. judyd1

Aree Wongwanlee

I think the differences were created by the marketing department. However, from a user point of view, I could call something that is about the size of an exercise book a notebook, while anything bigger than that would be a laptop. Computing power doesn't always relate to size.

As to which is better, the correct question should be which one is more suitable for your needs. If you are going to be carrying it around all the time, then a smaller form factor would be better, which means getting a notebook. If you are just going to take it from point A to point B, put it down and work for hours, then a laptop would be fine.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 18, 2016
  13. judyd1

Elektron

I will be honest with you, I am the kind of person that prefers PC, but I use Laptop for work purposes and that's it, so you should not get a laptop if you're not going to use it for work purposes only, however, if you're looking for something you can use for browsing the internet, playing some average games, and that sort of thing then you should get a notebook, it's way more comfortable and it's trendy nowadays, that's my opinion though.

Elektron, Aug 21, 2016
  14. judyd1

Aree Wongwanlee

I used to prefer a desktop, too. My reasons are that, at that time, desktops are cheaper, they can be upgraded easily and repairs can be done much more easily and for less money.

A few months ago, I had to make a decision to buy a new computer. At first, I thought of getting a desktop again. Then I checked the prices of laptops and found that, in many cases, laptops, of equivalent specifications, are cheaper than desktops. So I thought hard.

Do I need to upgrade often? No. Are laptop repairs more expensive than desktop repairs? I asked around and found that laptop technicians are in plentiful supply. So are laptop spare parts. So laptop repairs are not more expensive than desktop repairs. That's when I decided to buy a laptop instead of a desktop.

I only use my computer at home, so portability didn't become a factor in the decision. It was just a simple matter of value for money. For the same amount of money, I can get a better laptop than a desktop.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 22, 2016
  15. judyd1

MichaelJacob

I use laptops for school or just messing around online at school or places outside from home. But if I'm home I just use my regular desktop computer, I think that desktops are also easier to repair any problems with. I think that notebooks aren't much different than a laptop there just smaller, so maybe if you need a small laptop because maybe you travel, than the notebook would be a good choice.

MichaelJacob, Aug 26, 2016
  16. judyd1

SirJoe

That is probably the best set up, laptops have improved greatly when out comes to performance but they still can't out perform desktops in the same price range.

SirJoe, Aug 29, 2016
  17. judyd1

rz3300

Well these days there are certainly a lot of options, but I would have trouble say that the days of laptop are over. I know that I still need mine, and it would take me a while to really adapt to anything else at this point. I think the keyboard is still a necessity for me, and the portable ones are nice but not the same. It seems to be the way things are going, though, so we shall see. Thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 29, 2016
  18. judyd1

Krissttina Isobe

I don't think that one notebooks will replace laptops, because there are people that prefer both. As for me I'm researching what to get and what I can afford which sometimes doesn't match!:confused: But as I research what's available for what I need done, the more I lean to a 2 in one tablet laptop. I'd like to take pictures with my new computer, I love a keyboard too and I need i3 at least for I love playing games, but I want it at least 15" wide to be comfortable. I borrow a netbook with intel Atom and they are soooooo slow!:( An apple is out of the questions because they are too expensive and I like to surf with google or bing not safari...till I find what I need and can afford I'll have lots of fun researching for it!:p I found this article to help you along the way to get what you need and want in a computer:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Tablet-Computer

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 30, 2016
  19. judyd1

TheViper

To put it very short is that there is no real difference between a laptop and notebook. With that being said I am a far more traditional guy when it comes to these type of things. I get that the classic laptop is bigger but I like bigger as it means he can probably do more. Having the fat trimmed off only gives the benefits of less weight/size.

TheViper, Sep 1, 2016
Ask a Question