Not sure which OS to buy? Please help....

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Matt_the_hat, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Matt_the_hat

Matt_the_hat

Hi
    Just joined the forum for some pre-purchase advice as I am not sure which OS to buy.
    I am not a very technical person and will mainly be using for browsing, email and messaging while on the move, plus watching bbc i player and possibly using a slingbox. I hope to be able to use my Nokia N95 as a modem as I have an unlimited data plan or maybe a 3mobile USB modem for when my wife wants to borrow it.
    With this in mind will it make any difference which OS I get? Is there any obvious pro's and cons for them both?
    I know this is a lot to ask on my first post but would really appreciate some help...

Thanks

Matt

Matt_the_hat, Oct 7, 2008
  2. Matt_the_hat

westonpf

The Linpus that comes installed on the 8Gb AA1 will do what you want in terms of Web/email/iplayer (not sure about Slingbox).

3 USB modem will work with very little effort and there are plenty of instructions on this forum.

The N95 can be set up to work as an internet Access Point by installing and app on the N95 itself. It will then shares it's internet connection through wifi and all you do on the AA1 is set it up to connect to the N95 wifi access point.

If you want a more complete desktop system then Mandriva 2009RC2 works and there are reports that the latest Ubuntu will work. XP does work but you may find it a bit slow and for the basics that you say you are looking for it isn't really needed.

westonpf, Oct 7, 2008
  3. Matt_the_hat

Matt_the_hat

Thanks. Will go with Linpus then as it is £70 cheaper than WinXP.
    John Lewis do the AA1 with 120Gb HD for £229.

Will I need any firewall / security etc? I currenly use a Mac at home and don't bother with it.

Matt_the_hat, Oct 7, 2008
  4. Matt_the_hat

Tavel

I really don't endorse Linpus at all, it's fine for the pre-designated tasks but won't do anything else without a lot of effort on your part. I strongly suggest winxp for the compatibly and ease of use, plus the security of know it'll work for whatever you need it to now and in the future.

I bought the linpus model, fooled with it for a month and traded up to winxp...too much hassle.

Tavel, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question