Not Dell this time

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by cluckeyo, May 18, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

I have been a Dell user for years, but as I grow up a little, I become more concerned with cost. So I'm going in a new direction this time.I want to know your recommendations for the best places to shop for a high quality, non-proprietary laptop system.

cluckeyo, May 18, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

nytegeek

The best advice I can give you is to shop by specs instead of brand and make comparisons to get the best price.

nytegeek, May 18, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Vash

My first laptop was also a Dell. It was Vostro 1500 and it came at the cost of $1,100 back in 2008. The laptop lasted me 7 good years. Sometimes the initial cost is not the whole picture, since cheaper laptops might die on your much sooner and force you to buy a whole new laptop all over again. So I'd rather pay over $1,000 to use a laptop for 5~7 years, instead of paying just around $500 to use the laptop for only 2~3 years. Not only it means more trouble when your computer dies, you also do not get the same performance as if you have paid for a more expensive one.

Then of course, brand name does play a certain role in the pricing. Just use your logic and the results of research to see if a specific model is worth it.

Like nytegeek has said, the components used in a laptop is the most important thing. As all the laptop "manufacturers" do not really make anything but rather simply put together a list of computer parts they bought from other companies.
    The most important components in a laptop is the CPU, RAM, graphics card (if you play video games or use graphics intense software), hard drive, and the screen.

Do not put down a brand name. Instead you can put down a model based on what you need.

As for the best "place"? Most major vendors will provide excellent services. Places like Amazon, newegg, are some of the better places to buy in my personal opinion.

Vash, May 18, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

sharatharadhya

It is very important to balance your funds between buying the best Hardware and buying a brand with the best After-sales service. Laptops, unlike Desktops, don't have a very long life. If you get into a problem it is important to note that your brand can provide you long time support with both Softwares, Drivers and Hardware components. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on Something reliable instead of buying the best Hardware for the price. Good Luck.

sharatharadhya, May 18, 2016
Ask a Question