Non-linear battery discharge... Can it be corrected?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by shurcool, Nov 6, 2009.

1. shurcool

shurcool

Hi,

I recently got a new 6-cell 5200/4800/4400 mAh battery for my Aspire Acer One A110 netbook off ebay. It was a very cheap 3rd party battery, not the official one. Nonetheless, the quality seemed high, starting with the package to the battery itself.

Anyway, this is what a Battery Eater classic mode discharge graph looks like for my original 3-cell battery:

[​IMG]

Compare that to the new 6-cell:

[​IMG]

As you can see, after about 45% it really drops off, but then it lasts over 30 minutes at 0%. This is kinda inconvenient.

I think this may be because I made the mistake of not charging the battery for at least 10 hours before first using it, like it said on the sealed package. :(

Is there anything I can do now to "recalibrate" it or something?

I've done a couple of full charge/discharge cycles so far, and I think it may be getting slightly better, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

shurcool, Nov 6, 2009
  2. shurcool

speekergeek

I have searched high and low for an answer to this.

I too bought a cheap ebay battery, mine runs out of juice after 3.5 hours, then it will run for 90 minutes more on 0% battery with the battery light flashing.

it started losing juice weeks after I bought it.

The only thing I can figure is that the chip reading the battery info is wrong, there are ways to fix it, but for $30 just get another battery. The Jig for the eeprom flash and the software will run you hundreds. Unless you can DIY like a mutha, but then you still have to know how to reprogram.

If you find an easy answer let me know too!

MIKE

speekergeek, Nov 11, 2009
Ask a Question