Nokia s60 drivers to use the mobile as modem?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by elsapo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. elsapo

elsapo

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I'm still waiting to receive my Aspire One (120GB, Linux), delivery scheduled on 30th of August.
    Since I already have a Nokia E51, and I din't want to spend more, and wait more, to get the UMTS enabled model, I'm looking forward to install some drivers, if needed, or simply edit a configuration file in the proper way to get connected with the phone modem via USB or BT, since the modem itself should not be a problem (what about the USB connection to the phone?).
    I've seen a thread about connecting a Nokia s60 to the EeePC 901 via BT (I have an BT dongle as well, but it won't simply work plugging it into the USB port!), at it looked like it is an easy task. The guy showed how to edit a configuration file, and that was all.

Is there anybody that can help me on this topic?

Thanks a lot.
    Cheers.

elsapo, Jul 31, 2008
  2. elsapo

antoniocontent

Same issue...

I just got my Aspire One and gave up trying to connect with the bluetooth dongle to my Nokia 6680, using the phone as a modem...(which was quite easy on my previous EEEPC 701 thanks to the eGPRS debian application)

...I'll be glad at least to manage to connect through the USB cable...

Any help? Thanks in advance,

a

antoniocontent, Aug 5, 2008
  3. elsapo

linker3000

linker3000, Aug 6, 2008
  4. elsapo

elsapo

Thanks a lot, I will try it out as soon as my netbook arrives. Do you know what are the services that the devices can share? Object Push is enough but what about using the phone as a modem? The BT connection is probably not enough, isn't it?

Sorry for beeing that "questioning"...

elsapo, Aug 6, 2008
  5. elsapo

Guest Guest

in windows you neednt bluetooth, you can make it via infrared or usbcable (normally included with nokias), i had a nokia N73 and i use it as a modem with my acer one via bluetooth (bluetooth stick i have) or usb cable, drivers are included or you can download from nokia.com, all what you need is to have enought money in the phone and the aplication of nokia pc suite installed on your one. in linux i dont have any idea of how to make it work

Guest, Aug 15, 2008
  6. elsapo

elsapo

i'm already synchronizing my E51 with my XP laptop, via usb/bt. Now somehow the problem has been solved: I'm using JuikoSpot on my E51, allowing the AspireOne to connect via WiFi to the net trough the E51 3.5G connection. It's working fine, even if the WiFi ad-hoc access point configuration must be forced via shell each time a connection is needed. Hopefully Acer will update the configuration manager to support a flowless ad-hoc connection.
    Anyway that's not the best way to handle the issue, since the E51 battery drains pretty much fast and it gets too warm too.

elsapo, Aug 16, 2008
  7. elsapo

muaddib03

Hello Folks, I am trying to use my Nokia N95 8GB with my Linpus AA1.
    When it will be done successfully, I will post you a detailled How To.
    For Windows AA1, the software on the Nokia CD can configure the phone to work as a modem.

Stay tuned.

:)

Update : Ok folks, it works fine !
    I have connected my N95 as a modem.
    I will post a how to this week end.

muaddib03, Aug 21, 2008
  8. elsapo

bingggo

Please give us the guide - we're begging for it :)

Does it involve using the phone as modem over USB? or wireless?

Cheers!

bingggo, Aug 22, 2008
  9. elsapo

muaddib03

Sorry for the delay
    I had a strange problem with my One. I just want to investigate to know if this issue comes with the modifications I've done.
    (fyi the issue invloved the HAL library and I was compelled to reinstall linpus with the recovery tool...)

I made my N95 act as a modem over the USB link.

muaddib03, Aug 27, 2008
  10. elsapo

staannoe

staannoe, Aug 27, 2008
  11. elsapo

muaddib03

Hello staannoe

I have tried your guide (which is quite similar to what I've done)
    Thank you.
    I just encoutered a problem : I had to do a " sudo modprobe cdc-acm "
    because gnome-ppp did not detect the phone.

Now it works fine.
    Once again thank you.

muaddib03, Aug 29, 2008
  12. elsapo

gheek

Hi staannoe,

I must have missed this thread earlier, but found your blog post from Google the other day. I posted a "Howto" article here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2258 - describing how I did it and also what kind of possible changes might be ahead to get it work.

Thanks again, a great solution!

gheek, Aug 29, 2008
  13. elsapo

staannoe

Read your posts, great contribution! I have tried to keep my post as "bare boned" as possible, since the great majority of aa1 users are pretty new to linux. Your additions to it is probably the best thing to help those combinations of isp providers/phone models that need some other tweaking. Adding them to my post would probably add to much complexity and could scare the brave new linux users from trying.

Weird thing that you are unable to use the DNS adresses I have supplied. Those are OpenDNS addresses, and should be available to all.
    http://www.opendns.org/

The modprobe is a good point. Come to think of it I rebooted the machine after depmod -a and checked that the module was active with a lsmod afterwards. I will add the modprobe in my post to make sure others will not suffer from my sloppy work.

cheers

staannoe, Aug 30, 2008
  14. elsapo

sbessel

I am trying to get this to work with my Sprint Touch. It will work on my Toshiba running XP, and shows up as a network card.

I am unable to get Limpus to see the phone at all...

Any ideas? I followed all the steps listed here. I have been able to find no other information about this...

Thanks,

Scott

sbessel, Aug 30, 2008
  15. elsapo

staannoe

Scott,

Based on the information you are supplying i suspect that your modem is emulating an USB Ethernet card (not a modem). That means that my guide will not work for you. I will look into it since i have access to a phone that emulates an ethernet card. The good news is that i know that this type of interface works really well on regular linux distributions. You just connect it, and the rest goes automatically. The linpus kernel lacks support for a good deal of hardware, but modules (drivers) can be built for it. It might be the case here as well.

cheers.

staannoe, Aug 31, 2008
  16. elsapo

sbessel

sbessel, Aug 31, 2008
  17. elsapo

staannoe

Scott,

Sorry, i did not realize that the Sprint is a Windows Mobile based phone. I know the Sprint as HTC (different naming in different countries i guess). I do not have access to a windows based device, thus not able to help you.

staannoe, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question