No fan laptop

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by Miner, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Miner

Miner

So I have a hp split 13 x2 and the problem is that its overheating. Im searching on the internet and the number one trick for a overheating laptop is to clean the air vent. The problem being : THERE IS NO AIR VENT. Or a fan for that mather. I might the only person with a fanless computer on earth and i can assure you that im not just a weirdo who can't find the fan on his computer. The problem now is : how can i make my pc heat less when it doesn't even have a fan. Thanks for your help !

Miner, Jul 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Miner

IBMPC8088

See, that's what I mean about technology becoming worse rather than better, and manufacturers cutting corners and reducing the quality and usefulness of what they sell as "new" to the masses.

Your laptop should have a fan on it, but it doesn't because they wanted to cut costs and "thought" you wouldn't need one when you do because you're not just turning it on and sending an email or playing a game of solitaire on it like grandma.

You may have to use it only in air conditioned and cooler places to have the outside temperature preserve the system temp partially, use it near a box fan, or perhaps try to add a small DC fan somehow to the system itself and run it off of one of the usb ports. I'm sure that those fixes won't be possible at times or acceptable for others, but that's what happens when they release things like that now.

As for trying to prevent overheating normally from use, you can drop the brightness of the screen which creates slightly less heat from the video on board, and run the video display at a lower resolution which uses less power and taxes the GPU less. Also, reduce the color and resolution from 32 to 16 bit display. You'll be going from 4294967295 colors to 65535 colors available on the screen at any given time, but most pictures are lucky to use a palette of even a few hundred or a thousand colors for even the most detailed photos. You'd only hit a problem with this if you went to 255 colors, but not 65535. So that is an option. The other reason this helps is because there are less pixels for it to account for, and updating the screen only requires 2 bytes per pixel rather than 4 bytes each, so you're reducing the amount of processing and activity it has to do to update the screen by about half just by doing this. It isn't as pretty, but it increases graphics response while reducing the load on the GPU, and reducing the heat it makes as a result which can help prevent overheating.

Try not to run too many programs and processes in the background. If you're on a windows system, reducing the programs that autostart is not enough. Reducing the unnecessary services that also start and keep running in the background is important. All of those programs and processes running contribute to CPU use which raises the temperature of the system in addition to gradually slowing it down. Only keep the services you need running, and try not to run too many programs at once on it, and avoid excessive graphics or video that have to be decoded more than a basic AVI file. The more compressed a video is and involved for decoding with a complex codec, the more the Cpu AND the Gpu are going to be used and both make excess heat as a result.

I can't say this enough on other threads, either: switch to an SSD drive instead of a magnetic one. Although a DC motor as a fan can help to cool a system from a usb port on the outside of a system, the dc motor used by a magnetic hard drive generates heat, extra states, and a bottleneck with excess wait states and a bunch of other things that can be taken care of by just replacing with a solid state drive. When there are no moving parts, the time it takes to get from point A to point B on the computer is reduced on the bus, and so is the heat created by the load that's usually there. The delay and extra power used for the motor to keep spinning and reading data more slowly at fragmented areas is simultaneously eliminated.

I first found this to be of importance back when I noticed two fanless systems I had (which did have a fan but were not working correctly anymore) constantly shut down on me when using a hard drive. But when using a usb stick or live CD...they did not. I ended up configuring Windows XP on them to load the kernel into ram after maxing it out, and it stopped shutting down most times. Before that, doing the above things helped to extend the time it could be used for before the board automatically shut it down, but didn't stop it from happening completely most times like the replacement with an SSD did.

The more you can get that temperature down, the better.

One other thing you an do (but I don't recommend it) is that sometimes the BIOS will let you set the temperature at which the system shuts itself off to preserve itself. It's usually set to a safe default level. If (and only if) it lets you change this setting, you could raise the temperature shut off level to be slightly higher to also give yourself just a few more minutes (or seconds) to get a system to work and then return to a safer temperature level again. This is not recommended, though. If the system reaches a critical temperature and exceeds the safe limit for too long, it could damage the board or destroy it if sustained heat is there for too long at concentrated areas. It's better to do any of the other things above first and only, but if you really really must use a system more than the value of the system is worth tomorrow for something time-sensitive and mission critical, this can temporarily be a one-off option if it's there.

IBMPC8088, Jul 2, 2016
  3. Miner

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Unlike the 118 118 advert, you are neither A LOAN nor are you ALONE.

I too have a very modern, up to date FANLESS laptop... it was advertised as FANLESS so I was not surprised.
    I always use a Plastic bread board to sit my laptop on (It is only just a wee bit bigger than the laptop), it keeps the body of the laptop far enough off anything to allow air to circulate and helps to keep the laptop cool.
    it also keeps the heat of my thighs from the laptop when I do sit it on my knees

AND
    if i use it 'in bed' it keeps it from becoming smothered in the bedclothes... not that I particularly need to worry about that, though most of my nephews and nieces have Laptops WITH FANS but due to sitting them on carpets ofr floating them in bedroom blankets - they have caused them to over heat - fortunately I am the first port of call when trouble strikes so - so far we have only lost ONE laptop burned out beyond repair.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 3, 2016
  4. Miner

vinaya

I have never heard of laptops without a fan. I thought fan was very important component of the laptop. When the fan stops functioning properly, your laptop may start to heat up.When I began experiencing overheating of my laptop, I got an external fan (cooking pad). If a laptop does not have a fan how is it cooled down during the usage.

vinaya, Jul 4, 2016
Ask a Question