No dithering?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bmbbmn, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

Hi.

For days I've been trying to get the LCD to enable dithering, but now I'm wondering, if the screen or its controller is even capable of dithering?
    The Depth in the xorg.conf is set to 24bit, so that's probably not the problem.
    Anybody knows more?

bmbbmn, Aug 12, 2008
  2. bmbbmn

macles

The culprit is the i810 driver, with newer versions dithering is enabled. Maybe even xorg, i don't know as i upgraded it all. The screen as you may already know is only 6bit per color, that's why there is a lot of banding without dithering.

macles, Aug 12, 2008
  3. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

Simple yum/pirut-upgrade or have you compiled them yourself?

Yeah, the usual TN-panels-behaviour.

But thanks for the reply, that's good news!

bmbbmn, Aug 12, 2008
  4. bmbbmn

macles

Both. I'm not sure what version changed the behaviour but if you try yum install --enablerepo=development xorg-x11-drv-i810 it may already work.

macles, Aug 12, 2008
  5. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

When I'm executing this, I'm greeted with conflicts regarding libssl.so.6 and libcrypto.so.6, and if I'm doing an overall update, I get a conflict with the notification-daemon and a dependency-error for gecko-libs. *sigh* :cry:

EDIT: I'm still using the preinstalled Linpus-version.

EDIT2: After one whole day of trying and compiling and whatnot I'm still stuck at x-server 1.30 (instead of 1.4x) and drv-i810 2.1..something (instead of 2.4.0) :(

macles, how have you updated the xserver and the driver without running into all the unresolvable dependency-errors and file-requirements (libssl.so.6, libcrypto.so.6, etc.)?

bmbbmn, Aug 12, 2008
  6. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

I guess nobody else got a solution?

bmbbmn, Aug 14, 2008
  7. bmbbmn

macles

You can download the packages from https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/ and rpm -i --force them. I would not recommend 2.4, it's unstable, maybe because of the old kernel or no final xorg-1.5 available yet.

macles, Aug 14, 2008
  8. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

I've done a force-install of the 6 packages, which resulted in a not-working x-server, because other modules (keyboard, mouse, etc) needed x-server 1.3.
    If I need to force-update them too, it basically would result in an update to Fedora 9, which makes me wonder how you've done that without running into these problems.

bmbbmn, Aug 14, 2008
  9. bmbbmn

macles

I found out what the real problem is. Acer patched the i810 driver and in the process, accidentally i think, removed the code where the driver asks the panel if it supports dithering, and by default it's set to off. You can just yum install xorg-x11-drv-i810 however you will lose some of the funcitonallity in the patched driver, it appears to be powersaving and a patch to avoid flickering. I will post about recompiling the driver soon.

macles, Aug 15, 2008
  10. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

Great...
    I wonder what Linpus hasn't "modified" beyond usability. Just yesterday I did a Live Update which ruined the keyboard-mapping and I had to edit my way back to a working system with vim in the tty1-console...
    Not to mention the not-working updater after a recovery-installation.
    I'm awaiting it eagerly, thanks for your patience and your hard work!

EDIT:

About the tweaking, I guess you are right. I just watched a movieclip on the One and the "color-bands" where missing, so I visited an LCD-calibration website and indeed, no banding, only proper gradients.
    As I said in a previous post, I had to manually force-install standard FC8 rpm-packages of the driver etc. which obviously lack the Acer/Linpus-treatment ( ;) ), so I guess I'm stuck without the powersaving-tweaks.

EDIT2:

glxgears is also slower (first 480, now around 465).

bmbbmn, Aug 15, 2008
  11. bmbbmn

macles

macles, Aug 15, 2008
  12. bmbbmn

bmbbmn

Works without a flaw, highly appreciated.

bmbbmn, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question