No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network center"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolly, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jolly

Antithesis

I had this happen to me like the second day I had it, and I freaked out thinking the wireless card took a nose dive. I found that if you use the little wifi switch, switch it off, then back on and turn off the computer, then start it back up it will restore connectivity. Weird problem though :?:

Antithesis, Oct 5, 2008
  2. jolly

ispytodd

AHH! that explains it. I thought it was only working after restart or wake. The truth is that i would only unhide the menu to see it it worked after restart and wake. I would never pay attention after cold boot. Such odd behavior.

-t

ispytodd, Oct 8, 2008
  3. jolly

muuuuuu

Hi all,

I also had this problem. I found a solution, at least it works for me.

I open the terminal by Alt+F2 and then write "terminal" -> Run.
    Then I run " sudo gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking " to clear all the root network connections.
    Then I run " gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking " to clear all the user network connections.
    After doing this, I don't have ANY connection I have been connected previously (be aware).
    Finally I reboot and then the network icon appears again but you need to reconfigure the network again (as I said before, I removed all connections).

Hope that this will help.

muuuuuu, Oct 9, 2008
  4. jolly

mak

thank you very much! i have the same problem with the liveupdate. it is a real destaster, I will avoid it now.
    mak

mak, Oct 11, 2008
  5. jolly

inkbm

I've got the same issue, Network icon disappeared from start bar and Network Center doesn't open. I've tried everything in this thread and in the Networking Bombshell thread to no avail, I'm now rebuilding.

I have no idea how this happened, I don't take any of the live updates - this could become a real pain - this is the second rebuild and it's becoming an annoyance. Whilst I put all user files on external media, software and settings I install I lose and have to reset. I'm a Linux newbie, though UNIX I knew from 10 years ago, I was looking forward to getting into it, but this is becoming a minefield. Windoze is not great and on here would be painfully slow, but at least I only rebuild a Windoze machine about once a year, not once a month.

inkbm, Oct 12, 2008
  6. jolly

JohnHi

Wow, this fixed it for me. I turned off Autohide, rebooted and the network connection worked immediately. Thanks to both for posting.

JohnHi, Oct 16, 2008
  7. jolly

eschapen

I installed this guys (http://blogs.nologin.es/slopez/archives ... l#extended) script and one of the components is to remove the wifi driver before suspend. I haven't had any problem with networking since. I have a Linpus AA1 and the new networkmanager installed (still had problems after installing that one, though). I'm a Linux noob but it seems that in order to get fast startup and shutdown they f...d up on closing/shuttting down the network properly. Hope this helps.
    PS I also have the taskbar on autohide and still have no probs.

eschapen, Oct 17, 2008
  8. jolly

Zaahs

I fixed mine with this...

Thanks kapinouwi!

Zaahs, Oct 25, 2008
  9. jolly

birdtrek

Hi all,

My AA1 is only about a fortnight old. Never done live update - never hid the bar - the only thing I think I did was let the battery go really flat by plugging in the charger which was switched off at mains. After trying everything posted here this one worked:
    My thanks to muuuuuu

Kind regards to all who contribute.

birdtrek, Oct 26, 2008
  10. jolly

singraham

Upgraded to driver 7.1.6.149 and flashed the bios to 3305. Been on all morning with no dropouts so far (so obviously no lost icon or adapter). :)

singraham, Oct 30, 2008
  11. jolly

habile

Hello,

I was extremely frustrated at this issue which only seemed to occur after the machine went to sleep.

Anyway, after playing around a bit and running sudo nm-applet manually I then suspended the machine and noticed that nm-applet picked up a SIGPWR signal and then died.

With this in mind, I noticed in one of these posts someone listed to content of the live update which seemed to break it.

I found that commenting out both of the killall statements in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager fixes the issue for me, nm-applet no longer dies after a suspension.

I really don't know if this will cover it for everyone but certainly has worked for me so far.

Good luck!

C.

habile, Nov 2, 2008
  12. jolly

habile

OK, so this was only half the battle on my Linux version. Every few boots, the wireless just did not work full stop - regardless of which NetworkManager I used.

Seems (to me) the issue is IRQ related, I suspect Acer haven't really tested these devices properly.

Anyway, here's what I see:

When my WLAN does not work, dmesg | grep poll reveals:
    Code:
    irq 18: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    So, I carefully added irqpoll to my /boot/grub/grub.conf:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/bzImage .... quiet nolapic_timer irqpoll
    And so far so good - I'm monitoring though.

C.

habile, Nov 3, 2008
  13. jolly

ZimberZanger

Thanks muuuuuu! That worked perfectly for me! I had also had the no Network, nm-applet couldn't run because nothing from keyring-manager etc. (problems seemed to start after a couple of hard freezes and subsequent hard reboots). Used the approach above and reboot restarted the network fine, reinstalled my network details and up-and-running again.

Fantastic!

Zimber.

ZimberZanger, Nov 21, 2008
  14. jolly

jjoshua

I fixed mine with this too! Problem came from laptop running out of juice.

Thanks kapinouwi!

jjoshua, Nov 22, 2008
  15. jolly

sgcheco

Thanks for the post i got it working my conection I was going to freak out

sgcheco, Dec 5, 2008
  16. jolly

tomkerswill

Amazing... After ages of fiddling about, I finally saw the post on page 7, about switching off the auto-hide on the panel. Unbelievably, auto-hide was completely crippling the nm-applet. It wouldn't even load from the command line. Switching off auto-hide in the panel configuration worked beautifully! Thanks for posting the solution!

So before trying a system restore, I'd recommed switching off auto-hide on the panel.

You'll need to reboot, and then the networking icon should be back. Simple, but effective.

Tom

tomkerswill, Dec 18, 2008
  17. jolly

Ivan TSI

Well my problem is similar, my network manager doesnt appears since last update,and i have tried everything except a full system restore and nothing works , if someone has some other way to fix it please post it if not i will do the full system restore :cry: :( :cry:

Ivan TSI, Dec 23, 2008
  18. jolly

krisk71

We just got this computer for my daughter for today for Xmas and it was slow etc... when we opened it, could not get on My Space for her. Then all the sudden the icon disappeared. We can not also click on Network Conn - nothing happens. I am trying to run system recovery disc right now from an external drive I purchased- but I am really upset- this is a brand new computer!!!!! Daughter is upset- told me it is junk to return it UGH!

krisk71, Dec 26, 2008
  19. jolly

steven1314

Looking at the previous threads some people have tried to unblock task bar. Please please please can someone help me to do this. It said to right click and open up panel but I have tried right clicking everywhere and can find it. Bought Acer for my wife could use it fine for 2 days and now can't find icon to log onto wireless router. Just looking for someone to help me with a solution. I am not technical and all the jargon is confusing. Can anyone out there help me with some simple instructions.

Thanks

Steven

steven1314, Dec 28, 2008
  20. jolly

FueledbyRyan

Thanks kapinouwi!
    Worked for me. Saved me from reinstalling Linpus and loosing all the mods. :)
    I recommend everyone give this a try before anything else :)

FueledbyRyan, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question