No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network center"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolly, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jolly

Aceofspades

Same issue as scoobie, it keeps saying no such file/directory

Aceofspades, Sep 6, 2008
  2. jolly

miketurley

It happened after about 3 days of ownership for no reason. Took it back to PC World who did a complete restore from the disc provided - took about 30 minutes. Everything OK - that was 4 weeks ago - fingers crossed!

miketurley, Sep 6, 2008
  3. jolly

rebuilder

Hm. I don't know why I would have that file and you wouldn't. Can you post the output of running nm-applet in terminal? (no sudo)

rebuilder, Sep 6, 2008
  4. jolly

bunanson

New owner for 12 hr, everything was running, suddenly, website stop responding, wifi yellow light gone, wireless icon on network connection disappear. Try alot of thing, nothing worked. Packed the whole, get ready to take it back to bestbuy. Open again, just to see, wifi came back. Apparantly, one has to disconnect the power cable, or just close the lid, wifi will be back. I would call and send email to acer to get this fix soon.

bun

ACER/AO/winXP/120G/Bestbuy

bunanson, Sep 7, 2008
  5. jolly

Cesium

rebuilder:
    I get the same error. Here's the output you wanted
    Could not initialize settings file /home/user/.optsdksettings (rc=13)

maybe we aren't running it from the right directory?
    I'm just opening terminal, a simple cd.. and it gives me the prompt " [user@localhost home]$ ". I'm assuming this is the directory you're talking about. I'm just learning about this linux directory/user stuff.

Have you looked at the terminal output when you run "sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet". There's a lot of gibberish about broken pipes. seems like nm-applet has a hard time starting up.

Cesium, Sep 7, 2008
  6. jolly

Cesium

scoobie: rebuilder:

figured out what rebuilder was doing.

scoobie- i think you did exactly what I did- tried to head back through the directory structure to get to what we thought was the "home directory"- i'm basing this on the prompt that you had quoted in your previous message
    "[user@localhost home]$ sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings"

just open terminal - type nothing else but "sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings"

it'll just run and then you can restart and wireless is back up and running.

rebuilder: congrats- you figured it out faster than acer tech support could! You saved me from having to reinstall everything and reentering all of my contact info. Thanks a lot!

Cesium, Sep 7, 2008
  7. jolly

Aceofspades

Hey. Neither sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings or sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet will run on my one. They both give me no file or directory.

Aceofspades, Sep 7, 2008
  8. jolly

Cesium

have you checked using the file manager that the nm-applet still exists? maybe it got deleted?

Cesium, Sep 7, 2008
  9. jolly

Aceofspades

It's looking like they got deleted. Does anyone know where I could maybe get the update again and just put it on a thumb drive and reload ?

Aceofspades, Sep 7, 2008
  10. jolly

bunanson

Works for winXP,

Start menu>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters, if there is an exclamation mark on atheros, disable and enable will get wifi back. If athero disappear after disable, Action>Scan for hardware changes will get wifi back.

bun

bunanson, Sep 8, 2008
  11. jolly

Aceofspades

Im running linux buns

Aceofspades, Sep 8, 2008
  12. jolly

superguido

Here's what I did. I tried all the other things like delete the ~/.gconf/system/networking folder and tried to chown the .optsdksetting file (didn't exist). I also tried to delete all the updates and non of that worked.

So I loaded up the recovery disc in my other laptop. Dropped the hdc1._.tar.bz2 onto a SD card. Then dropped the file onto the Aspire One. I bunzip2'd it and untarred it and lo and behold there's the whole file structure now in a secondary location for me to pick and choose the files I need. So I copied nm-applet over the existing one that was broken. Ran it, rebooted, ran it again and presto chango... it works.

So if all else has failed for you, try that.

superguido, Sep 8, 2008
  13. jolly

Guest Guest

I have been having the same problem. I hope acer solves this problem quickly or they will loose a lot of customers.

Guest, Sep 9, 2008
  14. jolly

Guest Guest

I did a backup of /var/lib/online-updater directory and tried to do live update. Unfortunately it did not work. It kept on telling me that I had a network problem. Now I have restored the original files to online-updater directory I still cannot do live update.

Could someone let me have the file attributes of the files in /var/lib/online-updater. Just pasting the output of ls -la here will be great.

TIA

Guest, Sep 9, 2008
  15. jolly

droon

same here, linux dirs and all are just chinese to me. haha, netbooks, never have so many noobs been crashlanded into terminal country.

i've had this thing running for a few hours, did nothing but try and acces a mac wifi network and i can't restore my network capabilities OR change my keyboard layout to non-qwerty without following abstracts guideline clearly not written by people that are used to explaining thing to total noobs.

i can't find a place to download these so called updates from

so. once again, for the total noob: please, people that fixed it, explain in baby steps what needs to be done.

when i do alt-f2, i get something called terminal, when i type "sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings" and press run, the thing just dissapears, but nothing is different...

ow wait, when i do " sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet " it's telling me "couldn't communicate with gnome keyring daemon" ha! that sound awsome, this blasted thing is trying to communicate with hell, releasing gnomes and demons! it's all just one big trick to open the gates of the netherworld!

droon, Sep 9, 2008
  16. jolly

pt1980

Wow! Thanks rebuilder and Cesium.
    Mine is just back to 'connected' again! and as u said, just need setting all the connections again.

my method is
    - removing the networking folder from .gconf
    and then i restart. (firstly i thought it might work)
    - then using rebuilder's method
    -then restart.

just work.

THANKS so much!

I was about to end my relationship with LINUX. (or even tho it's Acer's FAULT! )

pt1980, Sep 11, 2008
  17. jolly

Prodigy.NL

Like with you SuperGuido, notthing posted here worked for me.
    I am totally new to linux, but when i tried to copy nm-applet and paste it i cant, the folder is protected and i cant paste anything in there, can someone tell me how i will be able to paste there?
    (i assume you have to be logged in as root or something, but i have no idea how)

Thank you

Prodigy.NL, Sep 11, 2008
  18. jolly

Prodigy.NL

My father has a very big book about Linux and i found out how to get nm-applet on the place i want, but when i do /usr/bin/nm-applet i get the following error:
    nm-applet: error while loading shared libraries: libnm-glib.so.0:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When i do sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings i get the following error:
    chown: cannot acces `.optsdksettings': No such file or directory

Can anyone give me a hint?

Prodigy.NL, Sep 12, 2008
  19. jolly

Prodigy.NL

I figured out that i dont have .optsdksettings on my Acer and i also can not find it on the recovery disk.
    Can anyone send me this file over email?

Prodigy.NL, Sep 13, 2008
  20. jolly

Prodigy.NL

I did a google search on optsdksettings but it doesnt find anything at all, so i would say it isnt important at all.

Prodigy.NL, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question