No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network center"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolly, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jolly

jolly

Hello all,

As my subject box says:

My wireless connection icon is gone, and I cannot open the "network center" to see what is going on. This happened randomly on my mother's Acer Aspire One. So, I don't know exactly what happened b/f the loss of connection. I also have an Acer Aspire One, in the same home and mine still has it's connection, so it's not the modem. I'm kind of stuck here on what to do, I don't know what to try with the limited format of Linpus. I cannot do a reset b/c I'm evacuated for hurricane Gustav and do not have access to my PC. I will be returning to New Orleans Sunday, so I really need to get my mom's computer running soon. She will not phone tech support-- I am her tech support. (lol)

So, any ideas? Or should I get on the phone with Acer? Please give me some ideas here, so I don't have to do that! I hate waiting on hold :evil:

Thanks,

Jolly :D

jolly, Sep 2, 2008
  2. jolly

TCM-Berater

hi - i have got the same problem, suddenly the network center can not open anymore. i recognized some problems earlier once the pc went to sleep mode and then come back, the network center refused to connect to any wlan networks.

now the icon in the panel is gone. tried a few reboots but no changes. in settings the icon network center is still there, but no response once i want to activated (double click).

any idea how to fix this?

thanks....

TCM-Berater, Sep 4, 2008
  3. jolly

Bozric

I ran the Live Update last night and there was some smallish update that required a reboot. Once the system rebooted, I no longer had access to the Wifi icon, Network, etc. I wish I would have noted what the update was, however, I was in the middle of a few other chores at the time and simply clicked the OK button.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bozric, Sep 4, 2008
  4. jolly

jukk

Same problem here. Network dead after the update.

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  5. jolly

jukk

It seems to be the system080805.sh patch. Now to figure out what it did...

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  6. jolly

jukk

I untarred the archive. These are the new files:

bin/uvcvideo.sh
    etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh
    etc/rc.d/init.d/ConsoleKit
    etc/pm/config.d/WORKAROUND
    etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
    etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sbin/shutdown
    usr/bin/monitoroff
    usr/bin/monitoron
    usr/bin/volcontrol
    usr/bin/mutecontrol
    usr/bin/open-session
    usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules
    usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

I can't still figure it out, maybe permissions?

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  7. jolly

jukk

It is /usr/bin/nm-applet that refuses to start. I got the network running by issuing 'sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet'. It won't start as 'user'. It is a workaround, of course, because it is supposed to be run by the user.

nm-applet is invoked in one of the updated files, etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh.

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  8. jolly

jukk

Another strange thing is that the Http_path in my /etc/online-updater.conf is /ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.3/ but there is no 080805.sh update on the linpus server in this directory. There is in 1.0.5/ however. I wonder if someone at linpus copied it to the wrong directory and corrected it afterwards.

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  9. jolly

jukk

Everything points to that the last live update was a mistake of linpus (on my version of the AA1).

I solved it by emptying all subdirectories in /var/lib/online-updater including the log (backup first of course) then run live update. Every patch was downloaded again and installed (except the system080805.sh that wasn't supposed to be installed in the first place). It seems to have solved the problem with the erroneous patch. Could have been luck also, that the right files were patched again.

jukk, Sep 4, 2008
  10. jolly

a42887

I had this same issue on my new Windows XP (120GB Drive) model. Windows didn't show anything in the Device Manager (the wireless card was gone and there were no unknown devices even after scannning for new devices). I restored the drive to factory state with the built in restore utility and it still did not work, so I returned it. I haven't had it happen on the replacement yet, but any ideas what to do if it were to happen again? Seems to not only be limited to the Linux version.

a42887, Sep 4, 2008
  11. jolly

lazy

where did you return it? acer or the place you bought it?

this happened to me twice, but it would reappear after a few reboots on both xp and ubuntu

i think the connection might be loose

lazy, Sep 4, 2008
  12. jolly

a42887

I returned it to Best Buy where I bought it. Hope it doesn't come back.

a42887, Sep 5, 2008
  13. jolly

Bozric

Just finished a system restore from my USB key... ran the updates and this time NO problems... :?: oh well, at least I'm up and running again. Thanks Jukk!

Bozric, Sep 5, 2008
  14. jolly

Cesium

I just updated last night and had the same problem. I called acer and their solution thus far is:

reinstall the system from the recovery disc, and do not apply the patch.

It is a known issue to them, but they have only had a few calls about it so the tech support guy was unsure how long before they would have this fixed. I'd suggest people call in- maybe it would draw their attention to it more and place it on a higher priority. Has anybody else tried deleting the files in /var/lib/online-updater and reapplying the patch as jukk has successfully done?

Cesium, Sep 5, 2008
  15. jolly

scooble

I had exactly the same problem. Upgraded to a new network controller and no wireless LAN, althoug the wired LAN still works. DOWNGRADE more like!!! :x

scooble, Sep 5, 2008
  16. jolly

Aceofspades

Has anyone found a solution that isn't "reinstall linpus"?

Aceofspades, Sep 6, 2008
  17. jolly

scooble

right, so i reinstalled from the recovery disc, I have a brand new clean install, but still no wireless connection. (wireless is switched on)

scooble, Sep 6, 2008
  18. jolly

rebuilder

if your nm-applet was broken by the latest update, here's how to fix it:
    running nm-applet in terminal will give you an error about being unable to initialize a settings file. The permissions are wrong, it is owned by 'root', and can't be used by the normal user. Run the following command in your home dir in terminal:
    sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings
    Assuming your username is still the default 'user' and your problem was the same as mine, the networkmanager icon should appear again on the next reboot. You'll probably need to re-enter any passwords for wifi-points.

rebuilder, Sep 6, 2008
  19. jolly

a42887

I found some newer drivers for the Windows users with this problem. I''m hosting them here:

http://www.corolada.com/hosted/Atheros 7.6.0.239.zip

I've only had 12 hours with the new drivers, but I haven't had a single issue with the wifi dropping off the Device Manager, nor have I had any connectivity issues. I'm not sure if this was ever the same problem as you Linux guys were having, but it seemed similar.

a42887, Sep 6, 2008
  20. jolly

scooble

thanks for the reply, but I get an error message when I did what you suggested;

[user@localhost home]$ sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings
    chown: cannot access `.optsdksettings': No such file or directory

have I done something wrong?

as I said, I am a complete Linpus newbie

scooble, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question