Nitro beta - new free PDF Reader / Creator

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Forone, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Forone

Forone

From PC World, I've downloaded and am playing with Nitro PDF reader/maker as potential substitute for Foxit - it is just as fast and does more than my older version of Foxit. Currently free in beta - a lengthy user manual is available on the website:

http://www.nitroreader.com/

(I bought Foxit some years ago but refused to pay yet more for upgrades under its license expiration terms. Nitro appears to have most of the functionality Foxit's pay version has.)

Forone, Jun 16, 2010
  2. Forone

Ibidem

I use PDF Xchange Viewer from Tracker Software, when I'm in Windows. It has about as much functionality as Foxit Pro, but it's free. Unlike Nitro's free version, it has been stable and supported for a long time.
    http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
    Current version is 2.0.0054.0; requires Win2k SP4 or better--Nitro requires XP SP3
    If you use the zip installer, it's portable; if you use the exe (and perhaps msi) installer, you get a browser plugin as well (IE and Firefox).
    It's fast, light, etc.

Ibidem, Jul 26, 2010
  3. Forone

Forone

Actually, Foxit significantly improved its free version a week or so after I installed Nitro, is now doing those things I was missing. I'm familiar with Foxit, so have removed Nitro.

I removed Adobe Reader from the netbook a long time ago, and never miss it. I keep Adobe Reader 9 on my main machine in case I ever want to look at one of those fancy multimedia PDFs, and because Adobe Photoshop seems to be somewhat integrated with it.

Update 24 Jan 2011: Another release of Foxit seems to insist on installing Ask toolbar, other unwanted promotional garbage and no obvious checkboxes, etc. to prevent them. For the time being the previous "clean" version is good enough, but if Foxit keeps this up it will lose people.

Forone, Jul 26, 2010
Ask a Question