Newly-flashed BIOS no longer accepts original password

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by terence, Apr 8, 2009.

1. terence

terence

I'm really hoping someone has a solution for this other than having to open up the machine....! Finishing an installation, I flashed my A110 with the latest BIOS (v.3314). Now to get into the BIOS settings it no longer accepts my previous BIOS password -- and I don't know the (default?) password it wants! Just pressing Enter doesn't do it either.

Strangely, this doesn't stop me from booting through into XP, or indeed choosing a different boot device -- but it does mean I am locked out of changing any of the basic system settings. Anyone got any ideas out there?

terence, Apr 8, 2009
  2. terence

terence

Okay, one day of head-scratching later and problem solved, and I have to wear a dunce's cap.... By mistake I had downloaded the oldest BIOS off the Acer site because they were listed in descending order (excuses excuses, I know) so had in fact flashed back to an old BIOS. When I realised my mistake and flashed back to the newest (3309) hallelujah, there was my Power-On Password back again in its pristine state. Uh, blame it on the tiny font on the tiny screen on the tiny website, right?

terence, Apr 9, 2009
  3. terence

Sorry I don't understand. So BIOS v3314 is older than v3309?

70869413, Apr 9, 2009
  4. terence

terence

I'm even more embarrassed, if that's possible... Typo: 3114, not 3314!

terence, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question