newest 8.9" AOA150 XP 160GB Versions have new touchpad

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by HappyHarry, Apr 19, 2009.

1. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

we just bought our daughter one of the newest AOA150's which have the 160GB hard drive and upon opening it i found a sticker over the touchpad that wasn't present on my AOA150 120GB version, it depicts that the touchpad is now two finger scrolling capable! (unlike my early version which can only report one finger press regardless of how many fingers are touching), and indeed upon booting a live version of fedora 11 beta and running syndaemon i verified that it was indeed so, very cool. i wonder if they have changed any more of the hardware, i'll post back if i find anything else different to my early version :cool:

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 19, 2009
  2. HappyHarry

adrianaitken

And if you install the latest drivers (for Windows XP at least), you can make your old AAO have two finger scrolling,pinching etc

adrianaitken, Apr 19, 2009
  3. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

are you sure about that?, as it's the hardware that makes it possible or not, not the drivers, and the touchpad in my early AOA certainly is not capable of reporting more than 1 finger touch ;)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 19, 2009
  4. HappyHarry

jackluo923

The only thing that's really a new feature is the 2 finger scrolling and nothing else. The rest of the functions can be achieved even with the oldest touchpad drivers. E.g. chiral scrolling, 2 finger resizing (pinching)..etc.

Also, i'm 100% sure that the old AAO has the same touchpad because I'm currently using all of the feature that you've described.

jackluo923, Apr 19, 2009
  5. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

of course circular scrolling and edge scrolling works but NONE of the two or three fingered stuff works on the early AOA150's, trust me when i say that the linux synclient will tell you exactly what your touchpad sees and mine sees no more than 1 finger no matter how many you put on it, so there is no doubt the newer 150's have a newer version of the touchpad.

i'd like to see a video of your 2 fingered scrolling or pinch zooming, or even two fingered or three fingered taps?

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 19, 2009
  6. HappyHarry

jackluo923

That's a software limition under linux. The old hardware is capable of multitouch and the earliest windows xp touchpad driver supports the multitouch features.

Here's a video of what's capable on the windows xp driver for acer aspire one.

jackluo923, Apr 19, 2009
  7. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

HappyHarry, Apr 20, 2009
Ask a Question