NEWB TO ACER ONE.FEW ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by JDM498, Oct 5, 2008.

1. JDM498

JDM498

Hello. Just recently bought a 8 gb acer asphire one . linux edition(don't like op system ).Would it be possible to put win 2000 or win 98 on this machine and would it be supported.? I was hoping that a smaller operating system would make it less likely to run so strong w/fan noise problems and such.thanks for your time. Also I would upgrade the ram to the 1.5mb and run win 2000 or 98 through a usb external cd drive. just wanted to know if this is possible and users opinions.

JDM498, Oct 5, 2008
  2. JDM498

Grim Squeaker

win 98 has pretty poor USB support. While a nice challenge to remedy that - and to make the cardreaders work - even the crippled Acer linux is far easier to make useful ;)

win 2k might fare a little better.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 5, 2008
  3. JDM498

wess2

Its just one opinion, but win98 would be the last thing I'd try to install (no support, bad usb, bad handling of memory - in case you upgrade to 1.5g). Are there even w98 drivers available for all the hardware?

Win2k would be better, though hardly "lighter" than Linpus. IMO, the built in fan control in A-one is just messed up - to make it work properly you need an external control software, regardless the operating system you use.

wess2, Oct 5, 2008
Ask a Question