New free anti-ransom software available

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Mar 29, 2016.

1. something back

something back

something back, Mar 29, 2016
  2. something back

CasualGoofy

Thanks for sharing!

On the download page, it claims that it'd work like a second layer of security. I take that it means, it won't conflict with what I have installed?

I think before anything drastic happens to my laptop, it would've been bogged down by all those antivirus programs :D

CasualGoofy, Mar 29, 2016
  3. something back

Sefie

Awesome! This ransomware was already making me nervous, I will definitely download this, because you never know. Those people are terrible.

Sefie, Mar 30, 2016
  4. something back

Fermin420

Is there a way to try it out? I mean, how can I know it works? I been listening a lot about these ransomware issue but I really have no clue what it really is. Its said that ransomware transmitted as a trojan, so wouldn't a regular antivirus do the work?

Fermin420, Mar 30, 2016
  5. something back

something back

Standard antivirus programs have trouble in identifying Ransomware programs.

A new form of detection is required, and antivirus companies are starting to
    write programs that fool the Ransomware into believing that the Ransomware
    program has been applied, and is in position on a computer.

Ransomware programs can be very different from other Ransomware programs
    all encrypt either files and folders, some alter the hard drive boot sectors which
    locks you out of starting a hard drive.

Others are now starting to destroy all backups held in the cloud, computer, and
    all other computers on the same network.

something back, Mar 30, 2016
  6. something back

fcuco

Because this is a piece of software that, technically, is not doing something that would warrant the attention of an anti virus program because it is doing something similar to what a legitimate program could do, simply encrypt a bunch of files, the only difference is that you don't get to choose the password to get your files back, that being said, no anti virus program is perfect and depends largely on its signature database, so the infection has to be identified and classified before it can be added to the database and detected, the problem with this particular software is that even the name ransonware is misleading, it is more of a scam where people are tricked into believing that they did something wrong and this software is offering them the possibility to correct that, so these infections are not even reported as such most of the time, for all they know, the user thinks that they got RID of the infection by using these programs.

This, of course, is despicable because it preys on the most vulnerable users.

fcuco, Mar 31, 2016
  7. something back

obliviousme

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure this will come in handy in the future. For now I'm good, my antivirus is working great, I might check this out now though, compare it's features from my current spyware.

obliviousme, Jun 9, 2016
Ask a Question