new cooling mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by vpgtd, Mar 24, 2009.

1. vpgtd

vpgtd

i took a heatsink from a northbridge and made two notches in it to fit in between the clamps.
    i didnt have to bend the fins at all this looks very profesional.
    i will post pics later

vpgtd, Mar 24, 2009
  2. vpgtd

vpgtd

so for some reason my camera sd card is broke and the images are obtainable i will post pics when i get a new card

vpgtd, Apr 2, 2009
  3. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

A COOL MOD

I lowered my CPU temperatures, significantly, by merely installing a heat sink or aluminum shunt, from an older Dell SX270 motherboard. The sink came from the Dell graphics card. I merely dremeled or cut the sink, to fit the CPU exhaust duct, with room to spare on each side of the duct. I mounted the sink atop the black portion of the exhaust ducting, primarily, as the sink should enjoy a little distance from the fan or blower, reportedly.

Temp reductions? While typing this post, my CPU reads "51" degrees (Celsius). My fan is set to "On" @ 58 degrees (Celsius) and "Off" @ 48 degrees (Celsius)! I never see any temps above 62 degrees Celsius! Out of the box temps, 70's etc...

Note: I cut away or removed the plastic exit vents on the left side of my Acer, so the heated exhaust air can more easily flow upon exit. If you l@@k closely at the exit vents, some remain mere facades, while others remain too minuet to properly ventilate the heated air. Finally, this remains One Acer modification of which you should Aspire! :mrgreen:

OneAcerAspiring, Apr 16, 2009
  4. vpgtd

jackluo923

My out of box, unmodded cpu temp is below 50 degrees celsius.

jackluo923, Apr 16, 2009
  5. vpgtd

any pictures for the mod?

70869413, Apr 16, 2009
  6. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

I'll post pictures, when I complete the case mod; I cut the base or underside of my Acer, to expose the heat sink. I manufactured a solid brass ventilation grill for the mod. I'll attach the brass grill to the case accordingly. I'll post pictures of: the heat sink, installed, my current operating temperatures (45 degrees while typing this post!), and the brass cover or grill installed. Now my Acer remains a: Acer [Cool+] One!

Note: Exposing the heat sink, with the custom brass grill, lowered my operating temperature additional degrees; I've yet to see a anything above 52 degrees Celsius, so I set my fan to "On" @ 55 degrees and "Off" @ 45 degrees (AA1FanControl version 1.6 freeware).

Thanks for your interest! :mrgreen:

OneAcerAspiring, Apr 17, 2009
  7. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

You live in Antartica, you're outdoors, and you're wearing snow shoes in a drift; now that you have that Acer One "out of [the] box", press the power button in the upper right hand corner of the device. Oh, almost negated: don't forget, open the device like a book! Now come back to planet earth, more specifically, Florida, with an ambient of 77 degrees Fahrenheit, no fans operating near the device. Power on and...

My completed project will post w/ photos shortly.

8. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

Acer Aspire [Cool+] One completed!

Acer Aspire [Cool+] One completed! Refer to photos

[attachment=0:3nhc69ch]Acer Aspire [Cool+] One Cutaway.jpg[/attachment:3nhc69ch][attachment=1:3nhc69ch]Acer Aspire [Cool+] One Solid Brass Grill.jpg[/attachment:3nhc69ch][attachment=2:3nhc69ch]Acer Aspire [Cool+] One CPU TEMP MOD Completed.jpg[/attachment:3nhc69ch]

End :mrgreen:

9. vpgtd

AngryCFModder

Great job, but what are you doing that requires this kind of cooling?
    Did you manage to overclock it? :eek:

AngryCFModder, Apr 20, 2009
  10. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

I facilitated the modification(s) for the following reasons:

(1) I remain fat; factually, I was so fat when I was born, I breast fed myself. An Acer Aspire One within close proximity to my girth requires improved environmental cryogenics or cooling :oops:

(2) Fan Decibals; the heatsink mounted in the cooling duct reduced fan and duct vibrations and resultant noise(s)

(3) Power concerns, chiefly battery related*; that is, cooler laptop = cooler battery, cooler battery = improved battery performance and life, and cooler temps = fewer fan in-and-outs or fan cycles, which, again, yields power savings or extended battery life

(4) CaPaCiToRs! I lost an SX270 Motherboard, previously, a result of over-temped capacitors and, (OE) engineering; ever read the temperature rating on a motherboard capacitor?

(5) Lastly, "Cooling also increases life expectancy of capacitors, since the probability of evaporation correlates with ambient temperature. An unwritten law says that a 10°C drop in temperature doubles the life expectancy of a capacitor" Tom's Hardware, When Capacitors Leak, May 2007)

Reference: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fixing-yo ... 275-3.html

OneAcerAspiring, Apr 21, 2009
  11. vpgtd

GvidoR

So, did you get rid of the fan module and replaced it with this heatsink? Looks neat!

GvidoR, Apr 26, 2009
  12. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

24/7 AcerOneWhiner

I merely fashioned the sink atop the duct, while the fan remains intact and operational. If you download AA1FanControl, you're fan will run at variable speeds; hence no 24/7 AcerOneWhiner. Granted, with the sink, customized exhuast grill, and slightly higher base feet or pads, the fan runs occassionally, at lower, quieter speeds!
    Thanks for your comments!

http://www.computentsystems.de/aceraspireonefancontrol/

AcerAspire[Cool+]One
    :mrgreen:

OneAcerAspiring, Apr 27, 2009
  13. vpgtd

garrettp

garrettp, Apr 27, 2009
  14. vpgtd

AngryCFModder

Hm. I've started playing with this as well.
    My current cooling mod keeps the system at 50c. It's been running prime95 for fifteen minutes now, and it appears to be stable there. I haven't even added all of the heatsinks yet. This could be fun :D
    Lifted it up now and it went down to 46. The fan is actually very quiet if you give it a good overhaul. Been running over 20 minutes now and it's at 47c ^^

AngryCFModder, May 1, 2009
  15. vpgtd

OneAcerAspiring

That's gotta shunt more heat than that OE OneTinAcer duct! But I remain somewhat concerned about the fan holes you drilled near the fan; why? The fan is designed to draw air across other components, prior to evacuting or cooling the cpu. Resultantly, while the new holes you drilled avail HEATED ambient air to the fan and cpu, more importantly and sadly,your modification reduces the fan's ability to draw air from the front of the case, subsequently robbing oe cooling intended for other devices; hence the reason I prefer my fan running at lower reduced and or variable rpms. Concisely, the fan cools more than the cpu!

I submit, a resolution to a particular quagmire, should'nt inadvertantly create a newer dilema or quagmire. Besides, holes at the base of the fan or case, remain too close to the (heated) exhuasted air or vents. That is, the shortcutted air (you sneakily provide your fan on a reocurring basis) likely remains the hottest air available to your fan and CPU. Hence Acer engineering the inlets on the front of the case, near my fat, hot, jiggly belly! Not!

Reverentially,

:ugeek:

OneAcerAspiring, May 1, 2009
  16. vpgtd

Silverb

Original Aspire One model had those holes...

[​IMG]

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/newgall ... 617&img=16

Silverb, May 1, 2009
  17. vpgtd

garrettp

By Quagmire do you mean, "Giggidy giggidy"?

I thought of that when I made the holes. Notice the holes are small and few thus allowing a portion of fresh air to hit the fan as well as already heated air from the front. The fan only runs when it gets hot (AA1fan ctrl). And the bottom now does not get anywhere near as hot as it did before the copper mod. And as for the heat to intake distance, I was told that hot air rises ;). I did have a little concern with the components that would catch the cool air before it hits the fan but they are not as important or do they get anywhere as hot as the CPU or NB does. Plus as I mentioned above, this allows some cool air to hit the fan instead of only heated air from the front ducts. The things that would really need cool air (besides CPU and NB) would be the SB (somewhat) and the memory. The on-board memory and SB are on the top of the MB so they are out of the cooling loop. The installed memory may get a little benefit from the front ducts but then again it is sending already heated air to the CPU/NB.

So, I am sticking with my design. I will probably someday add cooper heat sinks with fins to both memory parts (and possibly SB). The on-board memory uses the metal below the keyboard for heat dissipation but if you look at the heat pads they nary touch the metal, again, bad design.

I must say, I was not sure that adding a copper heat sink VS the aluminum would make any difference as sure it dissipates heat away better but the heat still has to go somewhere ie: out of the case. But so far it does seem to make a difference even when the fan is not running. Oddly enough, when the fan does run it is a lot more quiet. It must have to do with the copper deadening more then the aluminum.

garrettp, May 2, 2009
  18. vpgtd

garrettp

Look close at that picture and you will see the COPPER heat sink LMAO. I guess to keep production costs down they switch to aluminum. LOL

garrettp, May 2, 2009
  19. vpgtd

Silverb

Yes, download the technical manual and you will see the fucking copper heatsink :D

Silverb, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question