NEW: Asus eee PC S101

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by Pontificator, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

Pontificator, Oct 18, 2008
  2. Pontificator

scottro

It seems pretty expensive though. The Acer 160 gig is selling for around $400 USD in the US, (which is, of course, why it's in USD) :) while 449 pounds (I almost wrote lbs, I *am* tired) is, according to google's conversion thingie $777 (and some change) US dollars--if I'm spending that much, I'd be going for a real laptop.

scottro, Oct 18, 2008
  3. Pontificator

spyderms

That's really an unfair comparison though, as all electronics cost significantly more in Europe thanks to high import taxes and such (if I understand correctly that is...)

For example, the 120GB 3-Cell Aspire One retails for $349 USD, but £299.99 on Amazon.co.uk, which is the equivalent to $517.24 USD

As a better example, the Asus 1000 BK02 retails at $499 USD, but £349.00 in the UK, ($603.73 USD equivalent)

According to the review on CNet, Asus has fixed a lot of the problems, and came out with a much more attractive laptop as well. Plus, the current Asus netbooks have all had price reductions since their first release, so the S101 is bound to have them as well. It will certainly be priced much less in the US as well. Probably similar to the $599 the 1000H launched at.

The biggest thing that turns me off of one of these is the SSD. Hopefully they've included a higher spec model with the S101 so that performance won't suffer. That, or include a HDD

Edit: Just looked at the pics. Even in brown this thing looks fantastic...

Also, the full review can be read here.

spyderms, Oct 18, 2008
  4. Pontificator

scottro

Ah I didn't know that. With our current financial situation here, I would have thought it's the reverse (as far as cost.)
    No argument from me about the good lucks, and apparently good specs on the machine--however, I too have gotten leery of the SSD's. I think that to keep cost down, they use the lower spec ones.

scottro, Oct 18, 2008
  5. Pontificator

Pontificator

the S101 is pretty expensive for a netbook, and somewhat defeats the purpose. However, I think we are going to see drastic price reductions on all netbooks in the coming months as manufacturers scramble to just keep market share in what will no doubt be a dismal holiday shopping/selling season.

Pontificator, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question