Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by li52jw, Oct 22, 2008.

1. li52jw

li52jw

Hello all,

Seem to have buggered up my acer. Installed Wine on it earlier, which seemed to work, however my acer is no longer able to find networks, or even indeed connect to my LAN network.

I have tried uninstalling wine, but the problem remains unresolved. Any ideas on how to fix this? Been searching around the forums, but no-one else seems to have encountered this problem and any partial solutions that I have come across have been rather limited in effect.

On a side-note, since installing Wine, it now takes about 30 seconds at the login screen before I can actually start typing in the user/password fields, although my I can still use the mouse. Very strange.

Any ideas on what I've done?

Cheers

J

Also another problem that has cropped up as well, when I go to the 'Add/Remove Software' in the advanced menu, I get an error telling that I am unable to retrieve software information: "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: livna. Please verify its path and try again."

Argh. Damn you wine!

li52jw, Oct 22, 2008
  2. li52jw

donec

Are you still using Linpus?

donec, Oct 22, 2008
  3. li52jw

li52jw

Yup, still using the default linuxOS on it. Bit of a windowsXP man myself, hence the hair pulling going on at the moment over these problems.

li52jw, Oct 22, 2008
  4. li52jw

daldred

Open a terminal and cut'n'paste the output you get from
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    sudo iwconfig
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    sudo route

This should give us some idea of how the networking is set up, and show up any obvious issues.

daldred, Oct 22, 2008
  5. li52jw

li52jw

Hmm, it would also appear that my acer will no longer recognise any USB memory sticks or SD cards that I put into it.

Which leaves me completley unable to move work on/off it or to copy paste and post the results of this.

What the hell have i done!

li52jw, Oct 22, 2008
  6. li52jw

daldred

Knackered it?

Hmm. No network, no cards. Does the output of
    Code:
    dmesg
    (after a restart) contain any obviously worrying lines (like things containing the words 'failed' or 'error')?

(Alternatively, can you find a local Linux guru who could do some diagnosis for you without needing anything sent to him/her?)

daldred, Oct 22, 2008
  7. li52jw

li52jw

Further problems! After restarting and entering the login screen, it takes about 2 minutes before it will let me type anything. I can click on everything fine, its just the keyboard just seems to take 2 minutes to be added or something.

However, i conducted the dmesg and nothing obvious popped up. Seems like everything is working in regard to that.

li52jw, Oct 22, 2008
  8. li52jw

daldred

Sorry, but it sounds like you have problems there which are going to be hard to work on without being able to see console outputs!

I think the best route might be to use the recovery CD - is there anything important on the One which isn't backed up?

However, since this relies on USB booting, it might be best to check you can boot from USB first: might be an idea to look at something like this: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ . There you can download a CD image of Damn Small Linux, run it on your main PC to create a USB bootable image, and then make sure you can boot from USB.

If you can, you can do the recovery; if not, it looks like hardware problems (or BIOS, which again requires USB boot to mend!); in that case it would probably be a return to store job.

daldred, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question