Networking printer to Linux Acer Aspire 1

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thegooner90, Sep 14, 2008.

1. thegooner90

thegooner90

Hi

I have successfully attached a Linux Laptop to an existing Windows network to share the LAN internet connection.

I would like to the laptop to be able to use the printer on the network.

I can find the the printer via Linux (Linpus Linux Lite V1.0.7.E), but cannot connect to print a test page. The Linux OS has some pre-installed printer drivers, but they do not match my printer.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks.

thegooner90, Sep 14, 2008
  2. thegooner90

paisa

Please post the name and model of your printer.

paisa, Sep 15, 2008
  3. thegooner90

hmraao

I've been trying to print on a HP OfficeJet G85 via a Sitecom LN308 Multi Function USB Server connected to a BT Home Hub for some time without success.

The best I've managed to date is to connect the G85 directly via a USB port, but although the printer was detected, and print jobs could be queued, nothing ever printed.

Printing seems to be a bit of a Linux blind spot.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated:)

hmraao, Sep 15, 2008
  4. thegooner90

thegooner90

Hi Paisa

The printer is a HP Color LaserJet CP1215.

thegooner90, Sep 15, 2008
  5. thegooner90

paisa

Please refer to this post: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3406#p23359.

Unfortunately, the AA1 has no pre-installed printer driver for your printer and one is not apparently supplied by HP. There is an open-source printer driver that I found here: http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/, but you would have to try it. The Linux Foundation (http://www.linuxprinting.org) reports that this driver works "mostly" on a scale from "perfectly" to "mostly" to "partially" to "unknown."

As I mentioned in the first link above, please install and configure the printer to work using your usb print server and your windows computer FIRST. Then get the IP address for the print server (make sure it is static) and then try using the method outlined for the NETGEAR PS121 print server to see if it works. Before all of this, you might want to try installing the foo2hp print driver first by connecting your printer directly to a USB port on your AA1 to make sure that the print driver works, before spending a lot of time trying to get it to work on the USB print server. Best of luck.

paisa, Sep 15, 2008
  6. thegooner90

thegooner90

The printer is installed and connected via USB to a XP PC. The XP PC is hard wired into a LAN via a Netgear router. The Linux laptop is hard wired to the router, can 'see' the printer via the network. The laptop can install the printer, but does not have the correct drivers to print.

thegooner90, Sep 15, 2008
  7. thegooner90

paisa

paisa, Sep 15, 2008
  8. thegooner90

thegooner90

Will this driver work with Linpus Linux Lite V1.o.7.E ?

thegooner90, Sep 16, 2008
  9. thegooner90

paisa

I don't know. You would have to try it. Good luck.

paisa, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question