networking notworking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alyn_scott, Oct 24, 2008.

1. alyn_scott

alyn_scott

After a crash when the battery ran down suddenly neither the wired nor wireless networks are working. ifconfig shows no IP address for the wired ethernet (eth0) so DHCP isnt working. Also there is no icon on the task bar for the wireless network so I can't connect to a WLAN. I use this travelling between offices so it is not regularly connected to just one network.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Alyn Scott

alyn_scott, Oct 24, 2008
  2. alyn_scott

scottro

The only thing I could suggest at this point is to plug it in and let it charge. Then try again.

See if ifconfig even sees eth0. If it does, try with a wired connection, perhaps again from command line, doing

sudo dhclient -v eth0

That will at least give you an indication if it's working at all. With the wireless, you can try
    sudo iwlist ath0 scan

and see if it gives a list of wireless access points in the area.

If those things are positive, then the chances are good that the hardware is working. However, I'm not sure what to tell you for the next step.

scottro, Oct 24, 2008
  3. alyn_scott

IMSancho

There's a pretty big thread discussing similar problems, here's a post from that that offers a solution that may help.

IMSancho, Oct 25, 2008
  4. alyn_scott

alyn_scott

networking notworking now_working

All sorted - thanks to this forum.

I moved .gconf to .gconf.orig and rebooted. This got the Network Centre working, then I made a new network connection using eth0, finally I restarted the DHCP client with "sudo dhclient eth0". This got the wired ethernet working.

Similarly, I made a new network connection for wireless and that now works too.

alyn_scott, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question