Networking bombshell?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whoaccio, Aug 17, 2008.

1. whoaccio

whoaccio

Well, something weird happened to my networking utility. Everything was working fine and dandy, but all of a sudden the entire network control center disappeared. No icon shows in the taskbar and when I click on the "network" option under Settings, nothing pops up. I can't figure it out, any suggestions?

whoaccio, Aug 17, 2008
  2. whoaccio

annafil

Try open a terminal.

To do that (open any file manager folder, like maybe clicking "My Videos"), choose "File->Open terminal"

Then type in (without the ""): "sudo NetworkManager"

capitalization matters. See if that fixes it.

if it does, there is a way to add the command to bootup so you dont have to type it in every time you reboot. I'm not sure what causes it originally, but this is a fairly easy workaround for now.

annafil, Aug 17, 2008
  3. whoaccio

whoaccio

Unfortunately no such luck. It tells me "Connection Refused" after inputing the command you suggested.

whoaccio, Aug 18, 2008
  4. whoaccio

annafil

COnnection refused is an unrelated error message - it appears everytime you use "sudo", ignore it.

Sorry that didn't help you though, I was sure it was the same problem I had.

Try running this command in terminal and post the output here: "ps -ef | grep nm-applet"

annafil, Aug 18, 2008
  5. whoaccio

Dickie

I have the same problem, but starting NetworkManager from the terminal using "sudo NetworkManager" seems to do the trick. I have to do this each time it boots though. How do I get it to do this automatically at boot?

Dickie, Aug 29, 2008
  6. whoaccio

a473

I have a similar problem. I can't get the wireless to connect or the network settings to launch. Thing is, this only happens when I have the task-bar set to autohide. Turn off autohide, and it connects every time.

Hope this helps someone,
    a

a473, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question