Network Center [ Fixed ]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sakman, Aug 14, 2008.

1. sakman

sakman

I was having a problem with launching the "Network Center" settings icon. This started a day after receiving my AA1 and running the software updates.

I didn't see a fix on this board short of re-installing from the recovery CD.

I looked through the startup log - at the terminal:
    Code:
    $ dmesg |more
    and saw that the Network Manager applet (nm-applet) had failed to start. So I tried running it by hand:
    Code:
    $ nm-applet
    but it failed with a bunch of Gtk errors dumped to the screen.

One of the errors said there was an empty string in /system/networking/connections/2.

That path is in the home directory, under the .gconf directory. So I explored that area and I saw that there were 4 directories under connections: 1, 2, 3, 4. There were empty %gconf.xml files all over the place and sure enough, nothing under the "2" directory other than an empty %gconf.xml file.

However, under the "4" directory there were subdirectories and xml files that indicated the connection I had made at my work WLAN.

So I got back into my home directory, renamed the .gconf directory:
    Code:
    $ mv .gconf .gconf.orig
    and restarted the system.

Sure enough, once the system came up the nm-applet was running in the status bar. When I clicked on the Network Center icon it actually launched and I was able to set up a new connection for my home WLAN.

sakman, Aug 14, 2008
  2. sakman

madisonman

Could you do a simple step-by-step with only the solution for someone new to the system?

Edit:

Am a rookie. Only have to type in the move command. Seems to work. Thank You! You saved my vacation.

madisonman, Aug 14, 2008
  3. sakman

sakman

For me it was just moving the .gconf directory. It might have been possible to do the same thing by just removing the numbered directories under the connections directory.

Anyway...

- ALT-F2 to open a terminal window.
    - In the terminal, type: mv .gconf .gconf.orig
    - Restart the system.

When the system comes up a new .gconf directory is created in your home directory.

Hope this helps.

sakman, Aug 14, 2008
  4. sakman

jisaac

I had the same problem yesterday after a live update!

I had to rename/delete ".gconf" and ".optsdksettings" to get it solved!

jisaac, Sep 5, 2008
  5. sakman

duncan58

I too lost my network connection after live update, and could not figure out how to get it back. I was just about to chuck this Linpus thing until I saw your posts. I put the following commands in terminal

mv .gconf .gconf.orig
    mv .optsdksettings .optsdksettings.orig

I then rebooted and it works.

Now if I could only get my webcam to work.

duncan58, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question