Network center and wifi not working

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kimmmm_h, Aug 19, 2008.

1. kimmmm_h

kimmmm_h

i just wondered if anyone else had had this problem, or if anyone knows what i should do to get it working again.

i used my acer 2 days ago, connected to the net, all was working fine... turned it on today and noticed that my wifi is not picking up any signal (it's not the internet connection here as the other laptop is working fine). basically, i can turn the wifi on and off, but it doesn't bring up the icon in the toolbar - it won't connect to the net or find any signal. i have tried going thru the settings>network center and when i click on the icon it doesn't open (the other icons work).

i don't know what to try now.. i've restarted it too and it's made no difference. has anyone else had this problem or can anyone help me to fix it?!

please help!!

kimmmm_h, Aug 19, 2008
  2. kimmmm_h

Chris

I have the same problem.

He went a sleep while I had the xfse4-panel open and not using it for a while. When I continued working the wifi did not came-up anymore. Also the network center in settings does not open. Although when I move the wifi slideswitch it display's the status on the screen but it refuses to start the driver. Any idear where to look? thanks, Chris

Chris, Aug 20, 2008
  3. kimmmm_h

kimmmm_h

well i'm glad i'm not alone! i think it's going straight back to the shop! i mean, there's no point having a net book that can't connect to the net! :?

kimmmm_h, Aug 20, 2008
  4. kimmmm_h

steppiemum

I have the answer for you that are having a network issue. Use your recovery disc.

I, all of sudden, was unable to connect wireless or with ethernet. I called the tech support people (very helpful) and found that a "glitch" occurred. Computers do that, darn it!

After the recovery disc process, all is well again. Thank goodness. Let me know if you need some advice, and I will try to help you (I'm not all that computer "literate").

Chris

steppiemum, Aug 22, 2008
  5. kimmmm_h

RooMonster

You don't have to re-install every thing to fix this. The problem is that the network config files were corrupted (not updated properly) due to power failure etc.

To fix this all you need to do is delete or move the ~/.gconf/system/networking directory. This will hide them from the Network Manager forcing it to recreate them properly.

To do this see my post in another thread about the same issue.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1440&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

RooMonster

RooMonster, Aug 22, 2008
  6. kimmmm_h

ishiverwhenipee

All I did was turn off the computer and restart. Then the network center and wifi icon worked again. I was playing with xfce-setting when that problem happened.

ishiverwhenipee, Aug 23, 2008
  7. kimmmm_h

kimmmm_h

wicked! thanks guys and gals.. i'll give it a go later on

ta

kimmmm_h, Aug 23, 2008
  8. kimmmm_h

RooMonster

Let us know how it goes.

RooMonster, Aug 23, 2008
  9. kimmmm_h

l3reak

I just got my AAO this week, and the same thing happened to me with the network center refusing to open and nothing working. I have already restored once for another reason, so I didn't want to have to do that again, and I tried your solution from that other thread. Everything's working great now! It fixed it all just fine. Thanks so much for the help... I know my way around Windows pretty well, but I'm totally lost with Linux.

l3reak, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question