NETGEAR PS121 mini print server configuration

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aspirin, Aug 6, 2008.

1. aspirin

aspirin

If you've got a printer attached to a NETGEAR PS121 mini print server on your local network, here's how to configure the Aspire One to access it.

1. Be sure you've got the latest version of cups. From a terminal prompt, enter

Code:
    sudo yum update cups
    2. Once cups updates have been installed, open the advanced menu (R-click on empty portion of desktop), select Settings, Printer. This opens the Printer configuration tool.
    (In the following steps, use the "Forward" button to advance through the various panels.)
    3. Click "New printer" and choose "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" as the device. (If this choice is not available, then cups probably wasn't updated properly in step 1. Personal experience... :oops: )
    4. Enter the PS121's IP address as the Hostname and "P1" (no quotes) as the printer name.
    5. Select your printer manufacturer and model from the next two screens
    6. Enter the printer name, description, and location (last two are optional). Printer name can be whatever you want--it's what shows up in the list of available print devices after configuration.
    7. Check the settings and click "Apply." The new printer will be added. Click the "Print test page" button on the Setting tab (which should be visible once the printer has been added) to verify that all is well.

After the printer is installed, you can set many options via the Printer configuration tool's "Printer options" and "job options" panels.

Hope this helps.

aspirin, Aug 6, 2008
  2. aspirin

tassp9999

Thanks for this :D I have a Dell 1320c , which I found steps for setting up elsewhere , but would not work until I ran the 'sudo yum update cups' CUPS update you mention, which then gave me the LPR/LPD option that previously was not available. Now it works!

As a linux newbie this has been very helpful for me!!

tassp9999, Aug 13, 2008
  3. aspirin

lam00028

I find myself in the same situation where I want to print to a router connected device. (A xerox phaser3122 on a WL500g)
    I found myself lucky that I was not the only one having trouble connecting to this network printer with the available software on the ACER.
    After all this could mean that there is answer to my problem

I entered the yum update cups command
    result : could not find update match for cups

next I entered the yum install cups command
    result :
    Parsing package install arguments
    package cups - 1:1.3.3-3.fc8.i386 is already installed
    nothing to do.

So what else can I do that results in an updated cups that does allow me to print on my network printer

lam00028, Oct 11, 2008
  4. aspirin

rbil

Prior to doing: yum update cups

Do:

sudo yum update fedora-release

That will update your repositories and then you should be able to update cups.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 11, 2008
  5. aspirin

lam00028

Well that did the trick !! Thanks very much

Next issue I'll be working on is network access to router mounted USB stick and windows shares
    I'll take that to other threads.

lam00028, Oct 12, 2008
  6. aspirin

acer3ie

Hi to all,

Thank you for this infomation.

I just used it and got acer one linux working with my apple airport extrem for printing. I could print from other two laptops one winxp and other is macbook and it was doing my head in as I could not print from my Acer one on till I found this . :) :)

acer3ie, Nov 16, 2008
  7. aspirin

aaparkr

This worked for me as well, but I didn't have to update cups. The message was 'could not find update match for cups'. Fortunately, I had an updated version I guess because I was able to follow the directions for LPD/LPR Host or Printer.

Now I need to get a static IP address... (elsewhere I hope - this site has been great!).

Tony

aaparkr, Nov 22, 2008
Ask a Question