Netflix constantly glitching

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by pmbradley, Oct 11, 2011.

1. pmbradley

pmbradley

I bought a new Acer Aspire One 722 (2 GB DDR3 memory, AMD dual core C-60, HD Radeon 6290 graphics adapter, Windows 7) for my 11 year old son about 3 weeks ago. He wants to use it for watching videos online (Netflix, YouTube, Cartoon Network, etc.) and for sending e-mails. We use a wireless network for cable internet in the house.
    I have a big problem when streaming Netflix. The video is constantly glitching, and reverts to a series of still shots that look like a slideshow. The audio playsback perfectly during this time. There are other times when the audio and the video glitch together. I do NOT get a buffering message.
    This does not happen with YouTube, Amazon Prime, or other websites such as Marvel kids or Cartoon Network, only with Netflix streaming.
    I have done all the Windows updates I could find, I checked for a video driver update (said I was up to date). I also downloade updates for Adobe Flash and MS Silverlight.
    Any idea why I am having this problem with Netflix and what I can do about it? This computer is promoted as great for using Netflix.
    The suggested fix should be written for a complete computer novice, as I noticed some of the other replies have lots of computer jargon that I don't even understand. Assume I know next to nothing about computers!

pmbradley, Oct 11, 2011
  2. pmbradley

charisi

Have you checked to see if the HD option is checked in your netflix window? I had a similar problem with mine, and it turned out it was streaming HD video, and my poor netbook was crapping itself, ( I haven't gotten my broadcom card yet). Once I unchecked the HD option, it was fine.

charisi, Oct 29, 2011
  3. pmbradley

rosscopico

Pmbradley, I am having the same problem. Are the other websites you are streaming from HD?

Charisi, isnt (at least part of) the point of purchasing a netbook with nvidia & a HD port, to watch HDTV? Otherwise I could use my excellent Asus Eee netbook connected from the SVGA port to my TV.

This is the 2nd defective computer (same model) I have received from Acer. The last one would stream HDTV for about 3 mins before it switched itself off.

This will be the last Acer computer I buy. :evil:

rosscopico, Feb 22, 2012
  4. pmbradley

donec

I'm not so sure it is a problem with the netbook as I have the same problem sometimes with my TV and Tivo connection. I think it may be either Netflix or the ISP or the routing that the signal goes through to get to Netflix.

donec, Feb 22, 2012
  5. pmbradley

rosscopico

I tried connecting my wife's laptop to the same cable, immediately after & had no problems at all.
    That suggests to me the Acer is faulty.

rosscopico, Feb 22, 2012
Ask a Question