Netbook specific distros

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Joeb, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Joeb

Joeb

I'm curious as to what Netbook specific distros are out there? I'm already aware of Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Ubuntu eee, Kuki and Foresight Mobile. I'm fully aware of the plethora of full and lite distros available. I've used all of the above mentioned distros and they all have their pros and cons, at least on the Aspire One. So before I get too involved with trying to further adapt one of them, I was curious if there are any others out there -- no sense in recreating the wheel, so to speak.

Joeb

Joeb, Dec 5, 2008
  2. Joeb

flamingswrd

Other than the ones you mentioned, none come to mind...but your search bar (*points to top right*) will aid you in you search on these forums.

flamingswrd, Dec 5, 2008
  3. Joeb

Joeb

The problem with using the search bar is that you have to have an idea of what you are searching for. I'm looking for netbook distros that I'm not aware of. Plus, most of the distro discussions deal with full distros like Ubuntu, Arch, RH, Mandriva, Suse, Puppy, etc. Those are all fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Ubuntu fine. The interface is usable and just about any piece of software you might want is available. However, it is pretty heavy when used on a netbook. That's understandable as it is made to run on a multiple of configurations.

The customized Ubuntu Netbook Remix (from the usb image) is better optimized for this platform and the performance shows it. However, it doesn't seem to be a "real" release, but instead, more of a technology preview.

Ubuntu eee has been around the longest of the other three mentioned, there focus has mainly been on the Asus line of netbooks although it does work fairly well on the Aspire One. They are attempting to expand beyond the Asus line, but their main core still seems to favor it.

Kuki looks promising, but it is still in early alpha status being primarily developed by one person (I think). While it looks promising, it may be awhile before it reaches general release status.

Foresight Mobile was just released and is based on Foresight Linux. It too seems to be pretty promising. Like Ubuntu eee, it uses the Netbook Remix interface, however they have made their own choices as to what software should be included in a base install (such as Abiword instead of OpenOffice, etc.)

The major problem I see with the major distros (no pun intended) is that they tend to be a) relatively slow, b) difficult to get everything working, and c) take a lot of space (a problem if using an SSD). Most of these issues can be resolved with enough tinkering with the system. But anytime there is an update, there is the potential of things getting broken because of the tinkering.

The netbook specific distros mentioned seem to perform better on the Aspire One than their larger compatriots and more things work out of the box. The down side is that they all have limited development and support resources and who knows if they will be there tomorrow (just look at OneLinux).

So, what I'm thinking of doing, is offering my help and support to one of these netbook distros. But before I do, I was curious if there were others out there? Also, I'm curious as to what others may think about them, too (I'd hate to spend a lot of time and energy on something everyone thinks is a piece of you know what).

Joeb

Joeb, Dec 5, 2008
  4. Joeb

flamingswrd

So much to say...I'll be quick. :D
    1) Search for netbook distribution if you do...it is unlikely that it wont be mentioned in the thread if your talking about another distro.
    2) You're right in that full distros are a little...heavy. The "remixes," if you will, are designed to fix it, but until they realize that releasing a hardware compatible, bare-min, user upgradable, distro they will continue to be bloated. \
    3) The newer distros (Mandriva 2009, Ubuntu 8.10. Fedora 10) are much more likely to support the One's hardware, and require much less tweaking then the others.
    4) OneLinux did kind of drop off, but I don't blame the 1 guy in charge since he was constantly being hassled for a free software...Kuki Linux picked up where One Linux left off and is currently in production...with a team of 2-3 people. See their thread here
    5) If there are other One specific distro's they would surely appear here. If there are, a quick look around the Linux portion of the forum could provide some answers (there are only about 30 threads, last time I checked).

flamingswrd, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Joeb

cybergal

cybergal, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Joeb

brigzzy

brigzzy, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question