Netbook Causes Wifi Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steeb, Feb 20, 2010.

1. steeb

steeb

In the house, there are 2 Acer netbooks, 2 full size (Dell and IBM) laptops, and an iPod Touch that use the wifi connection (never all at once). Whenever I turn on one of the Acer netbooks, or wake them up from their hibernate state, it causes ALL of the devices to drop their internet access, but the laptops and netbooks still show a full strength connection to the router. There is a yellow /!\ icon in front of the signal strength icon, and the properties window says Excellent Signal Strength, No Internet Access. This lasts for usually about 3-5 minutes, then internet access returns.

The problem definitely seems to be connected to the Acer netbooks, as it has only started since I got the netbooks, and only happens when they're being used, but I can't find anything else online about anyone else having this problem. I haven't changed any hardware, or any of the router's settings, since getting them. I don't understand how turning something on could make all of the devices lose access to the internet, but still have a connection to the router itself. Any help would be appreciated.

steeb, Feb 20, 2010
  2. steeb

KiNG

try using a different wifi channel

KiNG, Feb 21, 2010
  3. steeb

msl

I get the same, my Aspire connects via wifi and all other computers in the house lose their connection. Any one else experienced this and any useful suggestions?

msl, Feb 24, 2010
  4. steeb

steeb

What router do you have?

steeb, Feb 24, 2010
  5. steeb

msl

Hi,
    I have a Netgear DG834G v3.

I boot up my Aspire One (Linpus) and during the boot, the router re-boots, knocking out the wifi connection for the household. Once the router is re-booted, all the computers in the house have access again. No other computer, including the Wife's Aspire One (XP), does this. My other Aspire One also runs Linpus, this causes the router to re-boot. I can only conclude that it's the operating system (Linpus) which is causing this problem.
    Does anyone else have experience of this and more importantly, know how to fix it?

Regards
    Mark

msl, Mar 29, 2010
  6. steeb

Paddydax

Has anyone found a solution?

I'm having the same problem. But only at my office. I don't have any problems at other places; McD, Starbucks, my dad's or at home.

When I log on to the network at the office, wired or wireless, it kills the network for all the others in the office. It's a small real estate office with 6 to 10 users at any given time, some are wireless and some are hard wired in to the network. But they quickly, know when I get there.

If anyone has a clue what to do, please let me know.

Paddydax, May 18, 2010
  7. steeb

fxstsb

see next

fxstsb, Jul 25, 2010
  8. steeb

fxstsb

Might be that you have them all set to Automatic. Each one separately try for the same address, lowest number. so when it connects to ~ 192.168.1.1, the next device looks for the same thus kicking the first one off. (making it reconnect)

fxstsb, Jul 25, 2010
Ask a Question